brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Ways to Make Your Instagram Poppin’

We live in a social media driven world. Which is fine as long as it isn’t an obsession. Instagram is one of the most influential social media sites out there. We use our IG accounts to flex on lurking exes, share #fabulous posts our friends will love and document our entire lives. I mean, if you didn’t ‘gram it, did it even happen? And while most of us will probably never achieve the golden status of being an Instagram influencer, it’s still nice to have an aesthetically pleasing feed for your most loyal followers (@ my aunt Trish). Here are some helpful tips to create a poppin’ IG.

1. Follow a theme:

You can create a theme with color coordination, aka using specific tones, saturation, filters and moods in all of your pics. Khloe Kardashian is the queen of this popular IG trend. She uses different complementary colors and even fades from one to the next, like a gradient. She’s a great inspiration for this specific look. But it should be noted that this recommendation requires a lot of upkeep, and it could be hard sticking to a specific theme especially if all your pictures look completely different.

Courtesy: Helene In Between and @debiflue

2. Pick colorful and vibrant pictures

If following a theme isn’t your route, try to stick with eye-catching photos that will really grab your followers’ attention! Post a cute picture of you and your friends hiking in an especially stunning section of your trek. Switch things up by adding variety to your posts too. They don’t all have to be pictures of you. You can instead post about a book you’re currently reading or a gorgeous sunset picture.

3. Posting just the right amount

It’s important to post on your account at least semi-regularly so your followers remember you’re there! Remember: not every post has to feature an extravagant background. A selfie will do! Posting regularly is a great way to increase engagement on your page, but don’t go over the top. Posting every day (unless you ARE an influencer) can be a little overbearing to some followers.

4. Think about your captions

Have a caption relevant to your picture! Try to keep them short and concise. Like this bullet point.

5. #Hashtags

Using hashtags is a way to identify and organize the subject matter of your picture. I’ve always heard that you should use a couple of basic ones that are more concentrated on your picture (for example #BeachDay) and then some special ones that are more geared toward you. This will help you reach the most amount of people. Using hashtags will help create your brand and sense of style.

6. When to post

This is one of the more difficult ideas to tackle because I think time varies from person to person. It depends on your followers. Two basic rules I’ve heard are to post at 10:00 at night and never on a Sunday. I’ve also heard in the morning because one of the first things people do while they’re waking up is scroll through their social media. Here is a helpful little chart that can give you better answers than I can. One thing is for sure: I am not waking up at 5 to post an Insta pic.

Courtesy: ShareThis

Here’s to a 2019 full of beautiful Instagram feeds, collegiettes! Hopefully, these tips and tricks will get you one step closer to having the IG of your dreams. (P.S. Follow me @bit_of_becca. #ShamelessPlug #FollowForFollow)

Rebecca is a junior at FSU majoring in creative writing. She enjoys reading novels until midnight (okay, maybe 2:00 AM), binge-watching shows on Netflix, and hiking in the mountains of North Carolina.
Her Campus at Florida State University.