6 Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day is a couple of weeks away. With all the pressure that comes with this day, it’s hard not to think ahead and start planning what you want to do. Whether you’re joyfully coupled up, single and loving it, or simply want a good excuse to have fun, there are lots of ways to make your Valentine’s Day special. Here are six ideas that will make you feel all the love this year.

1. Make a home-cooked meal

Restaurants and expensive gifts are overrated on Valentine’s Day. Skip the fancy reservations and crowds of people at the restaurant for a cozy meal at home. Nothing compares to a good home-cooked meal. It doesn’t have to be anything over the top either; I think most couples agree that just being with their loved ones on this holiday is all they need.

2. Watch a movie

You can’t go wrong with a good movie night in. Invite your girl friends or guy over to enjoy your favorite flick. You can even turn it into a movie marathon (cable channels tend to have choice marathons today). Choose a romantic comedy for your guy or a chick flick for the girls. It’s completely okay for you two to watch something like The Notebook tonight. Grab the blankets, make lots of popcorn and snuggle up close on the couch.

3. Pamper yourself

If you find yourself single on Valentine’s Day or wanting to do a little something extra for yourself, take the opportunity to celebrate you and the things that you love. Valentine’s Day is the perfect day to get away with these decadent, self-indulgent moves. Treat yourself to something special like a mani-pedi, a new necklace, or a blow-out at the salon. You deserve some attention today — and any other day of the year, too!

4. Go out

Valentine’s Day falls on a Friday this year, which means many bars will be running V-Day specials. It’s like the best night of the year to go out if you’re single. Gather up your girl friends and take yourselves out for a night on the town. Luckily for you, it’s pretty much guaranteed that the guys you’ll meet are also single. This means plenty of potentials out there!

5. Sweat it out

Take a fitness class at the gym. The Leach offers group exercise classes all day that range from yoga to spinning to kickboxing. This will get your heart pumping and boost your feel-good endorphins for the rest of the day! It’ll also make you feel great in that little black dress you plan on wearing later.

6. Be sweet

This is such an easy way to add even more sweetness to the day. All you need are shortcake dessert shells, strawberries, and whipped cream, and you have yourself a delicious dessert! Don’t like strawberry shortcakes? Try these heart-shaped cookies or classic brownies. Valentine’s Day isn’t complete without something sweet to eat. 

Kayla is a senior at Florida State University. She is majoring in Public Relations with minors in Business and Hospitality Management. Apart from taking courses and writing for Her Campus, Kayla enjoys spending time with friends, traveling, and discovering the best places around town. She hopes to work in the Hospitality PR industry after she graduates in May.   
Her Campus at Florida State University.