6 Things to Do in Tallahassee This Month

Whether you’re just getting settled in to your freshman year here at Florida State and are still getting your bearings, or you’ve been going here for a few years, chances are, you and your friends are looking for something fun and fresh to do. So what’s happening in the city of Tallahassee this month? Read on to find out!

Courtesy: Wikipedia

1. Go to a Football Game at Doak Campbell

If you haven’t done it yet, join a crowd of roughly 80,000 football fans to participate in some of Florida State University’s oldest and proudest traditions.  Don your cutest garnet and gold get-ups and watch Renegade and Chief Osceola take the field to raucous applause. Cheer on the Seminoles with the help of the FSU Marching Chiefs, who lead the infamous ‘Tomahawk Chop’ and other fan favorites. This is an absolute must-do for any Florida State University student!

2. Visit the Tallahassee Downtown Market

Now entering its 20th year, the Tallahassee Downtown Market, where local farmers bring fresh fruit and vegetables for sale, artists display their work and local musicians and small businesses alike gather every Saturday morning, is a longstanding Tallahassee tradition. The Downtown Market is only a few blocks off campus, which means getting there is just a quick walk on a beautiful autumn morning! Bonus: If you get there early enough, you’ll get to witness the ‘Mercat March,’ a bagpipe parade of sorts that signals the Downtown Market’s opening.

3. Grab a Paddle at the Rez

The Rez, also known as the FSU Reservation, is a scenic, 73-acre lakefront property owned by Florida State University. Free for students with a valid FSUCard, activities range from canoeing to rock-wall climbing and everything in between. Either spend your time relaxing on the sandy shores with a picnic, or rev it up by renting out some paddleboards followed by a dip in the lake. The Rez closes all water-related activities once temperatures start to dip, so take advantage of September’s warm weather while you can!

4. Check Out Tallahassee’s Culinary Scene

Believe it or not, but there’s more to eat in Tallahassee than just Chipotle and Suwannee. Try out tried-and-true local favorites like the recently reopened Gordos, which serves delicious Cuban-style sandwiches, or sample sushi at restaurants like Sakura and Jasmine. Tallahassee is also home to several excellent pizza places, like Momo’s and Gumby’s.

5.  The 30th Tallahassee International Art Exhibit

This exhibition, which ends in October, features a selection of contemporary art submitted by talented artists and chosen by a panel of experts from all corners of the world. Hosted by MoFA, the Florida State University Museum of Fine Art, which is located on campus, the exhibition is open to students and admission is free.

6. Catch a Concert at The Moon

iLoveMakonnen, crooner of smash-hit “Tuesday,” will be performing at The Moon, one of Tallahassee’s biggest entertainment venues, this Thursday, September 17th. Tickets for Florida State University students are only fifteen dollars with a valid FSUCard.

Staff Writer for Her Campus FSU. Caitlin is a Senior and is currently majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media and working towards a minor in Communications. She enjoys reading in her spare time, and is passionate about art, music, politics, and food.
Her Campus at Florida State University.