6 Coffee Shops in Tallahassee You Need to Visit

We’re back with another themed week on the site: Food Week. This semester, Her Campus FSU has created themed weeks dedicated to exclusive content we believe all of our readers should have access to. Keep up on the site for the next few days as we cover everything from the best brunch spots in Tallahassee to a complete recount of what went down when one of our staff writers decided to cook a meal in her dishwasher (yes, it’s a thing and yes, she actually tried it). Don’t miss out!  

We’re in college, which means we’re about that age where we drown ourselves in caffeine to stay alive. Some people might be able to get through high school without needing coffee, but few can survive the college realm without their blood being 75% dark roast. It starts out as a forceful form of caffeinated torture necessary to pull all-nighters and finish assignments we put off 10 hours before it’s due, even though the assignment was posted a month prior. But as time passes, the need for coffee becomes a passion for sweet aromas, full flavors and comforting atmospheres that often include a hipster vibe and way too many people with beards and flannels listening to the latest “Indie Folk” Spotify playlist.

Tallahassee is filled with so many hip and happening coffee shops and cafés worthy of being checked out, whether you just want to enjoy conversation with a friend over a succulent Irish cream latte, or buckle down with an espresso to finish that 10 page paper you actually haven’t started yet. Here is a compiled list of the best coffee shops that all students need to hang out at before they graduate.

Black Dog Café

Courtesy: The Sparrow and the Snail

Many people have seen this quaint little shop when visiting Lake Ella, but have yet to step inside. If you haven’t tried out Black Dog yet, especially if you like handcrafted coffee and unique seasonal drink flavors, you need to visit ASAP. With one location next to Lake Ella, and another in Railroad Square, there is no reason not to take some time to drive to your nearest, or preferred location and sip on one of their delicious brews. Not only is it cute and calming, but it’s a perfect place for anything from getting to know a first date over some small talk, or studying for an upcoming exam.

Catalina Café

Courtesy: Trip Advisor

A newer café in Tallahassee, Catalina has quickly found its place in the caffeinated college world. While moderately small, this shop is cute, friendly and covered in creative advertising graffiti. Plus, not only is the coffee delicious, with many seasonal creations to pick from, but it is adjacent to two other hip and happening Gaines Street businesses, Grasslands Brewery and Gaines Street Pies. So wake up with a cup of coffee, fill up with a slice of pizza, and turn up with some microbrewery beer.

All Saints Café

Courtesy: Lauren Pleasants

A distinctive building across from Railroad Square covered in artistically designed murals and filled with mix-matched tables and chairs, a bounty of fun flavor options, tasty snacks, and even some arcade games in the back, this is a chill place visit. The biggest perk- it’s opening 24/7. That’s right, so you can hit it up at 4am when you remember you have a midterm in eight hours to get sh*t done with an aromatic espresso in hand.

Red Eye Coffee

Courtesy: Lauren Pleasants

Do you love coffee and feeling worldly? Red Eye is the place for you. With fragrant brews and mouthwatering flavors, this place makes you feel a deep sense of wanderlust from the moment you walk in with the world map painted above the counter area. Not only that, but it’s also right next to some other great locations such as Taco Republik and Fire Betty’s Arcade Bar. You can’t go wrong with great coffee, scrumptious tacos and a little tipsy gaming.

The Sweet Shop

Courtesy: Tallahassee Downtown

Have some down time on campus in between classes? Walk on over to the Sweet Shop on Jefferson right next to Southgate for a caffeine fill-up and a savory snack to go along with it. There are so many options to pick from, and with such a convenient location it’s perfect for students to stop in quickly or take a seat and relax while sipping on a succulent concoction.

Lucky Goat Coffee Company

Courtesy: Yelp

Last, but certainly not least, is a coffee shop a little far from campus, but wildly worth the drive, especially if you like a quality cup of iced coffee. Here they have their famous iced coffee on tap, along with a wide variety of other brews to choose from, which are all perfect to sip on while just hanging out or catching up on some work in its bright and spacious location on Capital Circle.

Now that you know all of the hippest places in Tally to grab a cup of Joe, whether it’s for the taste of the coffee or the atmosphere of the shop, go out there and find your own favorite!

Junior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media, aspiring social activism journalist, world traveler, and lover of flannel, Hungry Howie's, and cats.
Her Campus at Florida State University.