5 Ways to Get into the Fall Spirit

Courtesy: Giphy

With it being summer pretty much all year long in Florida, I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve been waiting for fall to start since it ended. Fall is the one time of the year that we can indulge in the cool and spooky air, so why not start right now? There is so much to look forward to during this season like carving pumpkins, having endless scary movie marathons, and indulging in countless pumpkin spice lattes (yes, they are necessary). If you’re like me, then you know it’s never too early to start. Here are 5 easy ways to kickstart your fall spirit:

Buy a “fall” scented candle

Courtesy: Popsugar

Vanilla Birch, Campfire Donut and Marshmallow Fireside are just some of the scents you could be cozying up to right now. If you want the perfect fall candle, Bath & Body Works is legendary for their 3-wick candles and right now they’re half price! This is a fall must. Light one of these and enjoy the comforting scent of fall.

Bake Pillsbury cookies

Courtesy: Pillsbury

Nothing completes a spooky movie night more than baking these bad boys right here. This is the ultimate addition to any night during the fall season. These cookies only come out once a year and for some reason are extremely hard to find, which only makes them more necessary to get. But if you consider yourself a master chef, DIY your own fall cookies and take a bite!

Decorate your space

Courtesy: Good Housekeeping

String lights, black and white striped pillows and pumpkins are just a few items you can add to your dorm or apartment to have your area feeling festive. There are tons of small decorations you can find to make coming home from a long day of classes so much better. If you want to get even wilder, hang up some spider webs around the common room or get some silver and gold skulls to give off a more sophisticated vibe. If you’re on a budget, there are tons of DIY projects that you can do to still make your space feel spooky!

Watch scary movies

Courtesy: Giphy

Cozy up with friends and sweet treats to a night filled with scary movies. There’s a classic horror movie for everyone with movies like: IT, Hocus Pocus and The Exorcist! I wouldn’t recommend Netflix for having any thrilling scary movies unless you’re going to watch the newly added movie, The Conjuring. We all know you’ll fall asleep by the time you end up choosing a “good” horror movie on Netflix. If scary movies aren’t your thing, then definitely look into watching shows like Stranger Things and American Horror Story.

Attend festive events

Courtesy: Orlando Sentinel

If you’re from Florida, you’ve probably heard of Halloween Horror Nights. It’s an event in Orlando’s Universal Studio’s that turns horror movies into real life. This event is great for those wanting to get scared into the Halloween spirit. But if that’s too far for you, check out your local pumpkin patches and other community ghoulish events! A night of festive fun will get you excited for what’s to come this season, even if it is hot all season long.

Her Campus at Florida State University.