samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

5 Tips to Surviving Your First Network Event

1. Dress Appropriately

While this seems like a given, dressing the part can grow challenging, especially if your closet provides limited options. If you have yet to professionalize your wardrobe, don’t fret! You can look job-ready with a nice pair of jeans or a skirt, close-toed shoes, an appropriate shirt and a confident attitude. I highly suggest you stock up on business casual clothes ASAP, however, which you can do for cheap through J.C. Penney’s semesterly Seminole Suit-Up event. Just remember, your outward appearance serves as your first impression – make it count!

2. Prepare an Elevator Speech

During a networking event, you speak to many different people about very similar things. To ensure you say exactly what you mean to each person, you may want to prepare a 30 to 45-second spiel about yourself where you convey your relevant successes and interests. This allows you to sound confident and well-prepared while also providing your future employer with a strong sense of who you are. Don’t get too fancy, though. Make your speech flow naturally and conversationally (and don’t forget to practice!) to avoid hiccups.

3. Print Out Plenty of Resumes

An important rule-of-thumb for networking events and life in general: you can never be too prepared. I only took three copies of my resume to my first networking event and I ran out very quickly. You never know how many potential employers await in that classroom, just hoping to find the perfect candidate. Leaving them with something physical makes a stronger first impression and provides them with something to remember you by. It also makes it easier to contact you when they realize you’re the perfect fit for the job.

4. Follow-Up Quickly

Just like those thank-you cards your mom made you send out after your birthday and Christmas, the polite thing to do after an event is send out follow-up emails to potential employers. Make sure to mention how much you enjoyed talking with them and that you look forward to potentially working with them in the future. It won’t hurt to attach a cover letter or another copy of your resume, either. You should send these emails out within a few days following the event. After my first networking event, I waited over a week to send follow-up emails, and by the time I did, the employer I really wanted to work with had already filled the internship position. Log in to your email quickly and get to typing to avoid missing any opportunities.

5. Expect the Unexpected

Unfortunately, no amount of preparation can determine how the event plays out. Some employers may ask you out-of-the-box questions to get an idea of your normal, unrehearsed self. Some may care about details you didn’t consider or prep for. Take the event one employer at a time. If you get overwhelmed, step out for some air. If something awkward happens, laugh it off and keep moving. You’ll get out of it what you put into it, and trust me, you’d rather network with as many people as possible and make a strong impression than let slip-ups hold you back. Chin up, breathe out and smile on – you got this!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hi, my name's Devon Ledbetter, and I'm a senior at FSU double-majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media and Women's Studies. My hobbies include writing, reading, and cake decorating. You can usually find me on campus, at the beach, or at home cuddling my cat Macchiato.
Her Campus at Florida State University.