nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips to Cope with Rejection

We’re back with another themed week on the site: Career Week. This semester, Her Campus FSU has created themed weeks dedicated to exclusive content we believe all of our readers should have access to. Keep up on the site for the next few days as we cover everything from what NOT to put on your resume to a Q&A with an RMPD major currently interning at ELLE magazine in NYC. This week definitely won’t be filled with the cliché career advice you’re always hearing (take for instance there’s even a piece on how to deal with rejection). Don’t miss out! 

Let me start out by stating this: rejection sucks. Plain and simple. Getting that “thank you but…” email is a sucker-punch in the gut. Whether it’s a summer internship/full-time dream job/easy way to earn extra cash/club position/exec. spot, it doesn’t differentiate the end feeling. Rejection is the same no matter what. It’s a stinging burn, a set you back, a watch you reel reminder of your worst anxieties come to life. The thing is, rejection is something you’re going to encounter. You’re going to get that ‘no’ email, or worse, no email at all, which is why I’ve compiled some top tips for dealing with rejection out in the work force. 

1. Don’t let it get to you

I know that getting rejected from a job you want feels personal. Deeply personal. You’ve worked your entire academic career, pushed yourself to get that paper done instead of hanging out with friends, all in preparation for the day you’ll land your dream job. When you don’t get that job it hurts. Don’t let it become personal even though it feels personal. The potential employer you sent your resume and cover letter to isn’t personally against you. It’s not that you’re not great and qualified, it’s just that the job isn’t right for you.

2. Try again

Apply somewhere else. Don’t let the sadness that comes along with rejection set you back. There’s a job out there for you. You’ll find it. Apply, apply, apply, apply until you’re blue in the face.

Courtesy: Tumblr

3. Ignite a fire in you 

With rejection comes sadness, self-doubt, questioning. “Did I miss out on building my resume?” “If this is what I know I want, why don’t they see that I’d be a great asset to the team?” Let the rejection email make you want to be better. Let it make you determined to find the right place for you, to continue building up your resume, and get a job that’s even better than the one you originally applied for.

4. Frame it

There was a writer who framed every rejection letter he ever got. It was a reminder to keep going, a metaphorical wake up call, a way to ground him in his work and what he wanted to accomplish. I’m not saying you need to hang your rejection emails on your apartment fridge, or obsess over them, trying to decode every word (like I have—like you have too). That’s not the way to deal. You should deal instead by making it a goal to turn that rejection into an acceptance. Maybe not at the place you had in mind, but another place who wants and sees the value you offer.

5. Seek help from the Career Center (or experienced individual)

Don’t be afraid to ask for help or advice. Everyone gets rejected and the career center on campus offers so many wonderful opportunities. There are people there who will help you cultivate and tailor your resume to be the best one out of the bunch. There are mock interview sessions offered as well. Don’t let the nerves or anxiety stop you from landing a great interview. They’ll prepare you and push you forward if you get rejected from somewhere you thought was the perfect place.

Courtesy: Tumblr

Good luck and remember: “When you have bad days that just won’t let up, I just hope that you will look in the mirror and remind yourself of what you are and what you are not. You are not your mistakes. You are not damaged goods or muddy from your failed explorations. You are not the opinion of someone who doesn’t know you. You are a product of the lessons that you’ve learned. You are wiser because you went through something terrible.” -Taylor Swift 

Hi, I'm Amanda. I'm a Creative Writing major with an affinity for take-your-breath-away-sentences. I also like solid 80s rock jams and blogging about my feelings. I'm constantly hopeful I can one day escape to the moon. For now, I'm enjoying attending a wonderfully diverse school and take pride in my beautiful group of friends.
Her Campus at Florida State University.