The 5 Stages of Contracting Bieber Fever

As I’m sure we’re all aware, Justin Bieber has recently come out with his newest album, Purpose, with little sneak peeks of singles being released along the way. With songs like “Where Are U Now,” “Sorry” and “Home To Mama,” it’s clear that he’s desperately trying to start over and recreate himself into a respectable human being and, as much as I hate to say this, it’s working. I, Caitlin Mack, used to be a Justin Bieber hater. I thought he was a privileged, untalented, punk-kid who thought that he was above the law; I hated “Baby,” “As Long as You Love Me” and “One Less Lonely Girl.” I hated his stupid face and his stupid hair and his stupid attitude, but I can’t say that anymore. After years and years of avoiding the dreaded plague, I have caught the Bieber Fever and I have learned to embrace it. After watching interview after interview, I finally came to terms with the fact that I was infected and it wasn’t going away anytime soon. I had to learn to deal with it, and I want to help others by providing you with the stages one must go through to reach acceptance.

Stage One: Denial and Isolation

This is the first stage in coming to terms with contracting Bieber Fever. You’re probably saying things like, “Yeah, his new song is fine, but I still don’t like him” and “I could never be a Justin Bieber fan. I like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nirvana. That would never happen.” Maybe you start sneaking off into your room to listen to his newest single and your roommate catches you, giving you the side-eye glance that we all know too well. Maybe you start to check online to see when his newest song will be released, but when questioned, you deny, deny, deny. This is normal, and brings us to our next stage.

Courtesy: Walkingdead.wikia.com

Stage Two: Anger

HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?! He released another single that you actually enjoy. As if “Where Are U Now” wasn’t catchy enough, now he has “What Do You Mean” and you find yourself bobbing your head and tapping your foot. You will yourself to stop, but you can’t, and this just makes you angrier. How is it possible that you want to punch someone in the face while simultaneously making out with him? Damn you, Bieber, for putting out such catchy tunes and being so charismatic.

Courtesy: Mashable

Stage Three: Bargaining

“Okay. This is fine. I can be a fan, but I’ll never go to one of his concerts” turns into “Well maybe if I got a group of ex-haters together to see him, it wouldn’t be so bad to see him ONCE.” You are now in the bargaining phase of contracting The Fever. “I promise that if I just see him ONE TIME, I will never think about it again. And I’ll start going to church again. Maybe.” You’re almost there, champ.

Courtesy: Imgur

Stage Four: Depression

You now realize that you can’t afford a ticket, he isn’t touring your area or the tickets are all sold out. You’re angry at yourself for letting it get to this point, but also sad that you missed such a golden opportunity. If you can’t see him live, will you ever get this out of your system? All hope appears to be lost, but then…

Courtesy: Livingmosaic.tumblr.com

Stage Five: Acceptance

So what? You love the Biebs and you’re proud of it. He’s really trying to turn his life around, and who hasn’t had a rough patch? We should all be congratulating him, really. Way to go, Justin. You’ve given millions of haters the Bieber Fever and we couldn’t be happier. Keep doing you.

Courtesy: Giphy

Her Campus at Florida State University.