david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Spooky Podcasts That Promise a Fright

We all know there are plenty of things that’ll do the trick in giving us all a scare. Movies, haunted houses, pumpkin patches and graveyards – all a mix of spooks and frights that raise the goosebumps on our arms. An outlet that no one seems to be taking advantage of is podcasts. But just think about it, crowding alone in your room, lights off and curtains shut, popping in your headphones and becoming entirely immersed into the world that these following podcasts create.

Lore

Courtesy: Stitcher

The Lore podcast follows different historical narratives and offers a new chilling story with each update. In a type of campfire-Esque storytelling method, host Aaron Mahnke does amazing work with setting the mood and tone to provide an atmosphere that sends shivers down your spine. Each episode gives a setback throughout our history and recounts folk stories that insinuate those of creatures, some unsolved tragic events and other tales that crawl along the weird and strange. Lore updates biweekly and is a podcast that is around all year so you don’t have to worry about waiting for the leaves to change to get your scare on. 

Alice Isn’t Dead

Courtesy: Stitcher

Now here is one of my favorites! Alice Isn’t Dead follows a linear story with an unnamed protagonist who is on the search for her missing wife who had been presumed dead for three years. Our narrator describes in vivid details of her trek across the vast and seemingly endless roads in search of her beloved Alice. Met with less-than-human encounters with serial killers, towns that seem to be stuck in time and more, it is hard to turn away from the story once you get started. I sat and consumed the first and second parts of the story with rapt attention and soon enough the third and final parts will be released in the coming months.

Jenna + Julien Podcast (Seasonal)

Courtesy: Stitcher

Now, if you aren’t already subscribed to the J&J podcast, well, are you under a rock? Jenna Marbles doesn’t seem to be good at telling a frightening story- and she isn’t- so I would recommend the Jenna and Julien podcast to those who wish to sit back, relax and not get too scared. Both hosts read off various subreddits such as the r/‘No Sleep’ and the r/‘Creepy Pasta’ pages to let their listeners be scared alongside them. Thankfully, they interject and are amazing at giving content warnings for each story so it makes it a lot easier to pick and choose what you want for your auditory enjoyment. 

Rabbits

Courtesy: Stitcher

If you have an inkling that this podcast is about the cute and fluffy bunnies, you’re going to be sorely mistaken. Rabbits is a podcast that follows a girl named Carly Parker who is in search of her missing friend, Yamika. Within her search, she is led to a game that is unnamed but only referred to as ‘Rabbits.’ Rabbits is an incredibly addictive series full of unimaginable consequences as well as irrefutable prizes but at what cost? How did Yamika get all wrapped up in this dark world of Rabbits? Find out for yourself but don’t get too caught up.

Nocturnal Transmissions

Courtesy: Stitcher

Nocturnal Transmissions is a terrifying take on podcasts that seems to be like a take on the ‘found footage’ video style but only in audio form. There is something that is incredibly hair-raising in hearing voices play out in this acting style, telling stories and tossing in noises that you get no explanation for. Nocturnal Transmissions gives us many stories, each episode being a new tale, all following a creepy fiction that is akin to Poe and Lovecraft. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hello! My name is Cali Robins, I am studying English with a focus on Literature and its connections with culture and our current media, at Florida State University with a minor in Anthropology. My goal at HerCampus FSU is to provide readers with an unbiased reading of the news and to highlight some of my own interests in hopes that my readers will get a taste of my authentic voice.
Her Campus at Florida State University.