5 Resolutions You Should Make to Have the Best 2018 (Because the Middle of January Isn’t Too Late to Start)

Courtesy: Finder

1. Make Time for Yourself

If you’re anything like me then you probably have trouble saying no to things. It’s good to be actively involved in your community, but if you don’t prioritize your own personal time, you run the risk of spreading yourself too thin. This year, dedicate a little time each week strictly for YOURSELF and spend it however you want. If you have to turn down an event or reschedule hanging out with a friend in order to focus on yourself, that’s okay!

2. Go Green(er)

Did you know that all of the plastic ever made over the course of human history is still on this planet? That’s crazy! For 2018, resolve to not only help yourself but help Mother Nature as well. Each month, try to make one lifestyle change that will help the environment, like buying a plastic-free water bottle, switching from tampons to a silicone menstrual cup or actually using those reusable shopping bags when you go to the store.

3. Seriously Focus on your Health

Whether it’s mental or physical, your health and wellness should be front and center during this new year. The easiest way to make a lasting commitment to your health is to find something that you genuinely enjoy and integrate it into your fitness routine. Ditch stair climbers at the gym (unless you’re into that) and try rock climbing, listen to empowering podcasts during long bike rides or just grab a friend and make a fitness routine with them – you’d be surprised how much easier it is to be healthy when you aren’t dreading each workout session. If working out isn’t your thing, then try to embrace other healthy lifestyle changes for the new year. Don’t eat as much processed food, or go meatless once a week!

4. Budget, Budget, Budget!

2018 is the year to get that money, and more importantly, SAVE it! It’s time to take a serious look at your spending habits and make some changes. Don’t get me wrong, I love eating out as much as the next girl. But when each meal is $15, you’ll realize that by the end of the week, you’ve spent more money than you would have if you just went to the grocery store. Set a personal savings goal for halfway through the year and once you reach that point set another one to finish off 2018 with. Mint is a great app to understand how much you’re spending and to set budget goals. Plus it’s free (holla)!

5. Resolve to Help your Friends Grow too

Looking back, 2017 was definitely the year of cutting people off. While removing toxic people from your life is healthy and sometimes necessary, try to get into a different mindset for 2018. Help your friends work through tough stages in their lives and grow into the kind of person that you want to be associated with. It definitely isn’t an easy job, but even little things can make a huge difference. And who knows, maybe they’ll help you grow too. Because at the end of the day, we’re all in this together.

Courtesy: Greeley Stampede

India is a currently a senior at Florida State University studying English with a concentration in Editing, Writing, and Media. When she is not writing for Her Campus at FSU, she spends her time playing with her puppy Koda and leading outdoor rock climbing trips with the Climbing Club at FSU. India hopes to make a difference for the environment after graduation by advocating for conservation and sustainability. Follow her on Instagram at @indiaalfonso.
Her Campus at Florida State University.