Wellness

5 Reasons You Should Be Doing Community Service in College

During my time at FSU, I’ve had the amazing opportunity to work with and be around others who are passionate about changing the world for the better. I believe it is important that we do the most we can to help others, especially at an age where we have time and are capable of making waves. Here are just a few of the positive things that can come out of doing community service in college.

1.) Service is a Learning Experience

Of all the classes I have taken in my time at Florida State, I think I’ve learned the most valuable lessons outside the classroom. This isn’t to say I haven’t learned anything important during class, of course. Serving others is just something that tends to teach you important life skills that will hopefully lead you to be someone who is conscious of how their actions can affect others. By participating in service during my college years, I have learned how to be more empathetic, the importance of making change sustainable and about how I can use skills I already have to make a positive impact, among other things.

2.) Building Your Resume

Ever heard of ServScript? Well, now you have. One of the amazing things we do at Florida State is record service hours that go on our transcripts. Doing service looks great on a resume and shows employers that you are well-rounded and concerned about more than just yourself and your career. Service hours also look really great on graduate school applications. Who knows? This might be what sets you apart from others when applying.

3.) Get to Know Your Community

At a large university, it can be really easy to get so caught up in school and campus life that you forget that your college is a part of a bigger community than just the people in your major. Doing service not only allows you to get connected with FSU’s community, but also with the Tallahassee community. It can get you off of campus and involved with various organizations in the city or county and show you new perspectives of life off-campus.

4.) Making Friends

Some of the best things that have come out of being involved with service on campus for me are the friends I have made. It’s so easy, too. You already know that person has similar values to you because they are working with the same organization as you and that is a commonality that is really important in a strong friendship. There’s also nothing cuter than serving your community with your besties.

5.) Networking

People who do service come from all walks of life. I’ve found it really interesting and impactful to meet and network with people that I may not have had I not ever stepped foot into The Center for Leadership and Social Change. And because everyone is so different, they all have a variety of things to offer and people that they can connect me with. It’s as simple as introducing yourself and may end up giving you an opportunity you may not have otherwise had. For example, one of my friends I met through PeaceJam Southeast at FSU told me about the Beyond Borders program with the Globe, and now I’m going to Germany in May.

Whatever you choose to do with your time at FSU, I hope you try doing something that has a positive impact on someone other than yourself. Below I have listed some resources that can help you get involved with service at FSU. It may mean stepping out of your comfort zone, but I can assure you that there are some organizations on this campus that could use your skills and passion for the greater good.

FSU Center for Leadership and Social Change

FSU Sustainable Campus

FSU College of Medicine Volunteer Opportunities

Volunteer Leon

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Jenna is a third year student at Florida State University majoring in Information, Communication and Technology with a minor in Commercial Entrepreneurship. She loves stand-up comedy specials, craft supplies, dying her hair and everything bagels. When Jenna grows up she wants to be Reese Witherspoon.
Her Campus at Florida State University.