5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Study Abroad During College

For the past three months, I have been studying abroad and living in London. During this short amount of time, my life has changed completely. At the just 21, I have gotten to see and experience so much more of the world than I ever thought I would in my entire life. I think it is one of the most important opportunities that every college student should take advantage of while they still have the chance. Here’s why:

1. Immersing yourself in a new culture

Even if you’re in a westernized city like London where English is the language that is spoken, you still get thrown into a lifestyle that you aren’t familiar with. Picking up on things their slang terms and mastering the transportation system will make you feel like a proper Brit.

2. Growing in a way that you can’t at home

While abroad, you gain a newfound independence that you can’t find at home. Families aren’t necessarily a phone call or a 4-hour drive away, which allows for a lot of personal growth to happen as you face challenges solely by yourself.

Courtesy: Travel Weekly

3. Traveling

Traveling from the United States to Europe is really expensive, but once you’re in Europe it’s a lot more affordable which, makes it easy to explore different countries and learn about their cultures! You’re bound to miss a train, flight or a bus at some point, but usually the reason why ends up being a great story to tell in itself.

4. Shaping your future

Once you have a taste of the world and all that it holds, you’ll always want to see more, explore more and learn more. Seeing (parts of) the world has definitely made me realize what I want in the future.

5. Making incredible friendships

The bond you create with the people you meet in your program is unlike the friendships you make back on campus. There is just something about getting lost together in a foreign city or roaming around at night that you won’t be able to share with anyone else. The memories between you and the friends you make abroad will stay with you forever.

Her Campus at Florida State University.