5 Reasons “Felicity” Should Be the Next Show You Binge-Watch

Have you recently finished a show and can’t decide what to binge next? If you love television shows from the ’90s, Felicity should be the next show you dive into. Last semester I started watching Felicity after I mourned the end of a summer filled with watching the entire series of Gilmore Girls. Felicity had me hooked from the pilot episode. Here are five reasons you should give this show a try. 

1. Felicity centers on college life.

Courtesy: Pinterest

What’s so amazing about Felicity is that instead of your typical high school drama, the show instead focuses on college life. Felicity paints a portrait of the college life that is far from glamourous. The show aims to develop characters that are rather relatable. The show really stands out, because as Collegiettes, we can identify with Felicity and the other main characters by seeing them go through some of the same major pitfalls of college we have already experienced firsthand. Plus, the show also shows the characters actually going to class. 

2. It has a love triangle.

Courtesy: Entertainment Weekly

Before there was ever a Team Jacob or a Team Edward, there was a Team Ben and a Team Noel. This love triangle unfolded throughout the four seasons of the show and kept audiences debating between the merits of Felicity’s love interests. Scandal fans will greatly enjoy watching Scott Foley play the character, Noel Crane. Noel plays the best friend role, who is secretly in love with Felicity, while also being her RA. Scott Speedman plays the role of the charming jock, Ben Covington, who Felicity has been crushing on since high school. 

3. It shows the messy part of relationships.

Courtesy: Forever Young Adult

The one thing I took away from Felicity is to never compromise yourself while being in a relationship. The following is what I consider one of the most inspirational speeches Felicity ever gave during the series; she touches on an important life lesson:

“I just can’t compromise myself like that. I mean, I’m an emotional person. I feel things, and I need to be able to get upset and talk about how I’m feeling. That’s who I am, and I can’t change it, and I don’t want to. And the thing is, you knew that. You knew it, and you still pursued me. Because you want something with me. You just aren’t strong enough to have it, which in a way makes you a coward. And the saddest part is that one day, you’re gonna wake up and realize what you missed, and it’s going to be too late.”

The relationships are messy and the series explores the struggles that the characters have with their significant others. Not to mention, plenty of the will they or won’t they moments!

4. It has characters that stick with you.

Courtesy: FanPop

The characters on Felicity are witty, smart, driven and relatable. The audience gets to witness these characters change throughout college and grow up in the process. Felicity really manages to capture just how overwhelming it can be to start college and move away from home for the first time. These characters make plenty of mistakes, but they are also very self-aware. 

5. The main character doesn’t always have it together.

Courtesy: Mixmaster Throwdown

I don’t know about you, but watching the main character have it together all the time is boring. In the beginning of the series, Felicity abandons her plans to go to Stanford and proceeds to move across the country to go to college instead. Originally, she did it to follow her high school crush Ben, but deep down Felicity did it to be completely independent from her parents and to start making her own life decisions. Felicity realized early on that to be truly independent, one can’t just do what’s easy. The easy route would have been to stay at home and be pre-med, because her parents wished her to do so. It’s hard to not root for Felicity after she took such a huge risk.

This winter break, give Felicity a try. You won’t be disappointed!

Anna Iturra is a senior at Florida State University studying Media/Communication Studies. She loves reading celebrity autobiographies, eating out at local Tallahassee restaurants,  reading the latest edition of Glamour and watching movies for three dollars at the Movies 8 theater. She can't live without coffee, wine or Netflix (currently addicted to Lost). She aspires to be like Mindy Kaling and she hopes to one day live in London.
Her Campus at Florida State University.