5 Must-See Musicals Currently on Broadway

I don’t know about you, but I’m a huge fan of musicals. From the catchy songs that get stuck in my head for days to the amazing costumes and makeup for every character and the fantastic set designs in between each scene, musicals have so much going on! There is so much time and effort put into these popular productions and they’re all worth seeing! Here are five musicals I recommend seeing on the stage, compiled by me and a few of my musical-obsessed friends.

1. Chicago

This is probably my favorite musical that I’ve seen. While it has been on Broadway since the 70s, there’s no doubt as to why it’s been running for so long. Set in the 1920s in Chicago, this musical centers on the story of Roxie Hart, who’s been convicted of murder. She goes to jail for her crime and decides to use her publicity to become a “celebrity criminal.” Filled with fun costumes from the 20s overlaid with a jazz theme, this show will have you filled with laughter, shock and pity.

Courtesy: WAMC

2. Hamilton

Now, I’ve never personally seen this musical, but it is all the rage among the public. Hamilton follows the story of Alexander Hamilton while incorporating hip-hop and rap into the songs. Compromised of all non-white actors, it gives a different perspective on this important figure in history. When speaking with my friend Stephanie about why she loves it, she said it’s because it is “so original and such a crazy idea that somehow works!” Hamilton has raving reviews and is definitely on my must-see list! 

Courtesy: Broadway Shows

3. The Lion King

The Lion King is an age-old classic Disney film that was adapted for the stage! The costumes in this are amazing, artistically displaying all of the characters that are found in the original movie. Seeing “Circle of Life” performed by a talented ensemble of performers made the inner child in me sit there in awe. The entire musical, I had a big grin on my face as I recalled scenes from the movie. Seeing it on stage should for sure be on your mind. 

Courtesy: Go Sunshine Tours

4. The Book of Mormon

Created by the same people who made South Park, The Book of Mormon follows the story of two Mormon missionaries who go to Africa to preach their religion. While this production mocks the religion, it’s full of laughs and has even caused the Church of Latter-Day Saints to advertise in the playbill! This show has been running since 2011 and is on its second U.S. tour, so it seems to be doing well. Check it out if you want a night full of laughs!

Courtesy: Broadway Theatre League

5. Wicked

If you’re a fan of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, then Wicked is the show for you! Adapted from a novel of the same name, it follows the story of Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, and Galinda, later known as Glinda the Good Witch. It is a precursor to the famous film Wizard of Oz and gives a backstory to the life of the witches. It’s a story of friendship and self-discovery, along with songs that make you laugh and cry. This was the first musical I ever saw on stage and will forever be one I recommend people to see.

Courtesy: Cincinnati Arts

Media/Communication studies major with a passion for music, makeup and puppies!
Her Campus at Florida State University.