Anyone can admit to going to movies for a little guidance sometimes, whether it be for help with identity, family or conquering the universe. Personally, I go to movies more often than not for pointers on one thing in particular – love. Love is crazy, there’s no denying. So, in my time looking for answers in these classic chick flicks, I’ve come to realize maybe we can all find parallels in some of these storylines to our own love lives. Here are five movies that are undeniably relatable and speak volumes to what our romantic journey might look like.

1. A Cinderella Story (2004)

Are you hiding behind a screen because you’re scared of rejection?

Courtesy: Refinery 29

If there was one girl that made us believe in love it was Sam Montgomery. In this movie, Sam (Hilary Duff) develops an online relationship with a mysterious and intriguing guy through a Princeton University chatroom. Come to find out, the guy happens to be the quarterback, student body president, and closet poet hot shot at her school, Austin Ames (Chad Michael Murray). Sam and Austin finally come face to face at a school dance, but Sam keeps her identity a secret using a mask. The clock strikes midnight and Sam takes off, leaving Austin desperate to find out who she is. Sam struggles with telling Austin or keeping it a secret, as they come from two completely opposite worlds. In reality, Sam’s fear is being rejected. She knows she isn’t like the other girls Austin has shown interest in, and she’d rather spare her feelings than face a seemingly inevitable heartbreak. Oddly enough, Sam didn’t know what possibilities were ahead of her, and neither do you. Would you consider yourself a Sam? Have you tackled the online dating scene and chosen to hide behind your profile because you’re afraid of judgment and/or rejection? Take it from Sam, you’d be surprised how liberated and relieved you’ll feel if you embraced the possibilities and left your mask behind. You’re keeping yourself from something potentially life-changing if you continue to hide. And maybe, just maybe, you and your hunky Austin can ride off to Princeton together.

2. Aquamarine (2006)

You might have reached a point of desperation where you’ve lost sight of yourself.

Courtesy: We Heart It

Believe me, it’s ridiculously easy to get so caught up by something you really want that you lose sight of what really matters most to you and who you are. Aquamarine tells the story of best friends Hailey (Jojo) and Claire (Emma Roberts), who come across a mermaid who seeks love to prove to her father that it exists so she can return home. After pining over Raymond (Jake McDorman), the devastatingly handsome lifeguard, Hailey and Claire decide to help Aquamarine make Raymond fall in love with her in exchange for a wish (keep in mind she’s a mermaid, not a genie). Through constant coaching, magazine reading, and innocent stalking, Aquamarine grows closer to Raymond, not realizing that she never had to follow the crazy rules of love as explained by a tabloid, but rather just being herself was enough to keep him interested. I know it’s easier said than done, especially when it comes to comparing yourself to others. In this case, you might be trying to meet all the criteria of what every guy would want in a girl, but keep in mind you have those particular qualities that make you unique and appeal to people when getting to know you. A wise person once told me that if you’re not boo’d up it could very well be because you still need time to focus on yourself before you shift that extra attention to someone else. Rather than doing the most to make yourself seem like everyone else, why not try to do things to make yourself seem special?

3. Legally Blonde (2001)

Are you doing things for your benefit, or for his?

Courtesy: The Sun

Elle Woods, perhaps one of the most iconic female figures in film, sets the ultimate example for this next point. You see, in Legally Blonde, Elle (Reese Witherspoon) is awaiting a marriage proposal from her boyfriend Warner (Matthew Davis). Much to Elle’s surprise, Warner intended to break up with her and head to law school at Harvard. So, what else are you supposed to do when your boyfriend dumps you to go to Harvard? Apparently, you’re supposed to go too. Elle ends up getting into Harvard where she learns Warner is engaged to Vivian Kensington, a snobby preppy girl. Elle sticks it out and eventually realizes that her place at Harvard was more than just about winning Warner back, but she found an unexpected passion in law. This leads us to ponder the motives behind our decision making. Maybe sometimes we fail to analyze our motives behind our decision making when we’re in love or smitten. If you consider yourself an Elle Woods when it comes to love, your best bet is to separate the two relationships between your significant other or crush and yourself. Something to keep in mind is that your relationship may or may not last, but in the end no matter the outcome there will always be one person for you to look to and that’s yourself. Do things because you’re passionate about them, not because the person you’re pursuing is into them.

4. 27 Dresses (2008)

Have you been helping others in their relationships so much that you’ve neglected your own?

Courtesy: The Young Folks

A lot of us can relate to Jane. The story of 27 Dresses follows Jane (Katherine Heigl), who dedicates her time to being a bridesmaid and pining after her boss. But of course, the plot thickens when Jane’s younger sister, Tess (Malin Akerman), comes to town and unexpectedly sweeps Jane’s boss off his feet. After Tess gets engaged Jane connects with a charming, witty writer named Kevin Doyle (James Marsden). His cynical character pushes Jane to reveal her closet filled with 27 distinct dresses that she’s worn as a bridesmaid. Kevin goes on to tell Jane his belief that she is fascinated with weddings but is too scared to dive into a marriage of her own. Which leads us to our Janes out there. Jane is beautiful, smart, and selfless. But being too selfless can be detrimental to your love life. You are constantly serving as a counselor and shoulder to cry on for others, and you’ve failed to set aside an effort to cultivate and grow a relationship of your own. It could be insecurity, or it could just be the fear of commitment. Regardless, you can still give people advice in their relationships, but maybe start taking some of that advice and practice what you preach. After all, Jane opened up and found that the relationship she was avoiding was the only relationship that mattered.

5. 13 Going on 30 (2004)

Do you crave adventure so badly that you fail to recognize love when it’s in front of you?

Courtesy: Wonderwall

Jenna Rink (Jennifer Garner) wants to be thirty, flirty and thriving. After her thirteenth birthday party ends in complete embarrassment, she makes a wish to be thirty. And because this is a film, magic dust transports her forward in time. As a thirty-year-old, Jenna works for her favorite magazine, has an all-star hockey boyfriend, and is now best friends with her arch-nemesis from high school. But most importantly, Jenna learns that her best friend from her childhood, Matt (Mark Ruffalo), is engaged and they went their separate ways. Through a series of events, Jenna realizes that she has genuine feelings for Matt, but her desire for an exciting life got in the way of her feelings for him. It’s perfectly fine to want to live an exciting life, heck that’s what it’s all about! That being said, there are times when you need to focus on smaller details in order to see the bigger picture. As a Jenna, you’re probably hoping for landing your dream job, taking luxurious vacations, and sparking the party every now and again with a dance to a Michael Jackson smash hit. And this is totally okay to do, it’s more than okay to dream big. However, you should always make an effort to see things through with those closest to you, as they could very well turn out to be your greatest and most exciting adventure yet!

As you can see, even though films sometimes seem fictional and fantasy when it comes to love, they do carry plenty of truth in the way their characters embark on their romantic journeys. These five films and characters exemplify how we might go about love, but they also help guide us in understanding how we can overcome our little obstacles and habits when it comes to love.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hi there! My name is Fran and I am a sophomore at Florida State University. I am a freelance blogger aside from being a full-time student and participating in campus activities and organizations. I am an aspiring influencer and hope to grow my audience to inspire people to embrace their individuality and share their stories. To see more of my work and passions follow me on instagram @francasaine and keep in touch!
Her Campus at Florida State University.