Fame brings fantastic riches and influence, but how many are using their influence for pure good? These five women are not only revered for their talent but also their vast contributions to those in need. Whether it be using their voice against racial discrimination or hosting free coding classes to get girls into tech, these women have shown that they’ve got more than their own best interest at heart.

1. Amandla Stenberg

Courtesy: Vimeo

Amandla Stenberg is one of Hollywood’s most influential actresses. Most recently Stenberg played Starr, a teenager finding her voice amid the fatal shooting of her best friend in The Hate U Give, but the activism is definitely not just for the big screen. Stenberg has spoken out on issues such as gender expression, sexuality, and the appropriation of historically black culture. In October 2018, in the wake of Dr. Christine Blasey-Ford’s trial, she published a personal essay in Teen Vogue detailing her and her friends’ experiences regarding sexual assault. While her essay gives an exclusive insight to those who have not experienced sexual assault, it can just as easily provide a relatable haven to those who have experienced such assault or battery. Stenberg initially claimed fame for her role as “Rue” in The Hunger Games, but her fearless voice is what’s really putting her on the map.

2. Karlie Kloss

Courtesy: Buro24/7 Singapore

Every girl in fashion knows the name “Karlie Kloss” is synonymous with “extraordinary supermodel”, but did you know the famous name is now synonymous with coding? Yes, computer coding! Kloss started up “Kode with Klossy in 2015 as a series of free two-week coding courses to help young girls learn and lead through tech. Kloss herself wanted to learn the ins and outs of coding, and now she is providing the knowledge of coding through her free programs and scholarships. Kloss has reportedly funded all the ventures of “Kode With Klossy” with her own income, in addition to contributions from brands she models for such as Swarovski, L’Oreal and Express.

3. Rihanna

Courtesy: E! Online

Rihanna has been putting out chart-topping hits for over a decade now, but she has also been involved in numerous philanthropic organizations since 2006. A year after her first album Music of the Sun was released in 2005, Rihanna became involved in the Believe Foundation to raise awareness and provide assistance to terminally-ill and disadvantaged children around the world. Rihanna has also partnered with numerous organizations, such as UNICEF and Red Cross, to put on charity concerts to raise funds. Since 2012, Rihanna has also been heavily involved with the Clara Lionel Foundation, which seeks to provide “equal access to education” around the world. Recently in 2017, she traveled to Malawi provide hands-on assistance in education and aid to the impoverished children. Rihanna also earned the “Humanitarian of the Year” award from the Harvard Foundation of Harvard University that same year.

4. Ariana Grande

Courtesy: E! Online

We all know Ariana is currently dominating the Billboard top three slots, but she isn’t just a beautiful voice. On May 22, 2017, the infamous Manchester terror attack played out just as her fans were leaving her performance at Manchester Arena. 22 were killed and 116 were injured from the terror attack. Out of this tragedy, Grande put together “One Love Manchester” charity concert in June of that same year as a part of the larger organization, “We Love Manchester Emergency Fund.” The concert itself raised over $13 million for victims and survivors of the attacks.

5. Yara Shahidi

Courtesy: Noted Names

Yara Shahidi, best known for her role as Zoey Johnson in Black-ish and its spinoff Grown-ish, is not an activist only for the big screen. Although her character, Zoey, is a social activist, Shahidi herself has always advocated for diversity in Hollywood and the betterment of girls’ education. She has even started “Yara’s Club,” a collaboration with The Young Women’s Leadership School, designed to get high school students to discuss social problems and take action. She also previously worked on the “Let Girls Learn” initiative led by Michelle Obama.

Molly is a junior in the Editing, Writing, and Media major at FSU. She hopes to pursue a career in investigative or political journalism. Her interests include leaving Florida, watching Saturday Night Live, and spending time with the people she loves. Follow her on instagram @mollyrae678
Her Campus at Florida State University.