5 Crazy Online Funding Campaigns

Generations are in constant contention with each other, it’s just a fact of life. Generation X (born 1966-1976) was criticized for its skepticism, frequently characterized for asking “what’s in it for me?”

Then the next generation was criticized for constantly having its hand out, expecting someone to cater to its needs. Sound familiar? They’re talking about you (me included), Generation Y, or more commonly known as the Millennials.

Typically, I would stand up for our generation and say that we are technologically intelligent, sophisticated and more accepting of other viewpoints; however, sometimes I have to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, they have a point. When I see crazy internet funding campaigns pop up on my feed I can see why other generations think that we have our hands out, especially when they’re funding things we really don’t necessarily need.

Check out some of the craziest internet funding campaigns to circulate the internet:

1. News from the BeyHive

Courtesy: FACT Magazine

After seeing nearly 200 bands live, I completely understand the struggle to see your favorite artist live. That desperation has become almost tangible with the numerous accounts popping up asking for help to buy tickets to Beyoncé’s recently announced Formation tour. Ranging all the way up to nearly 1,800 big ones, the BeyHive is about to take a hit to its wallet, unless they can get some handouts of course. “My homies and I would appreciate seats that do not require binoculars. Get us out of the nosebleeds and into seats where we can literally catch the queen’s sweat beads,” one account says while asking for a whopping $5,000 to fund a girls’ night out with Bey. 

2. Potato Salad for Days 

Courtesy: Food Network

In 2014, Zack “Danger” Brown jokingly posted that he wanted to create the best potato salad that ever was. Well, over $55K later, Zack has the power to make enough potato salad to fill up Doak. As a thanks to potato salad lovers everywhere who donated to his cause, Zack is creating a professional cook book specializing in… potato salad! 

3. Killer Pots and Pans

Courtesy: Geekologie

Ever been home alone cooking some tasty stir fry Gordon Ramsey would be proud of when *BAM* an intruder runs into your house and threatens you? Me neither, but it seems like James Brown has! Introducing: Combat Kitchenware. Pans with hilts are the perfect way to whip up some savory goodness or knock out an enemy—either or. 

4. A Jock Strap for Polyphemus

Courtesy: Artist Michael Barrett

Okay, so we’ve heard of some eye-catching, amazing and even downright bizarre Guinness World Records (record breaking animals is my personal favorite category). Speaking of bizarre: enter Michael Barrett. $850 later, Michael now holds the title of making the world’s largest jock strap. Somewhere in your Greek mythology texts Polyphemus, the giant son of Poseidon, is begging for a chance to try on this dry-fit award winner. 

5. Mr. Thirsty

Courtesy: NoWayGirl

Honestly, as the typical broke college students that many of us are, I’m sure a lot of us have felt like this at least one time or another. Unfortunately, sexism is still rampant in society, most frequently in the club and bar scene. Ladies can put on some gloss and heels and have shots lined up for them (notoriously), but guys are often left drained of their cash at the end of the night. What to do? Start an online funding account of course. 

Cassi is a junior at Florida State University. As an Environmental Studies major, Cassi likes outdoor activities such as biking, hiking, and going to parks. She is part of a community Service Fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, which has brought her to some very unique and exciting experiences around Tallahassee. From washing dogs to preparing food for the elderly, Cassi loves to help the community out any way that she can. In her free time, Cassi likes to paint, read, take bubble baths, wreck her boyfriend at chess, beat the high score to Mrs. Pac Man at Voodoo Dog, play with her hamsters, or attend concerts. As always, this Seminole bleeds Garnet and Gold! 
Her Campus at Florida State University.