5 Cheap Spring Break Vacay Destinations

It’s about that time in the semester where the only thing on our minds is spring break! One long week to forget all about the stress the spring semester has caused and to forget about the midterm blues. If you’re anything like me, then the first chance you get at a few days off you don’t just want to go home and indulge in doing nothing; you want to do something fun! Even if it’s just a short little one-day road trip out of your hometown or Tallahassee, those trips are exciting and much needed when you have to retreat back to FSU to finish the semester off strong before the summer. There’s only one problem: the broke college student status is REAL. Here are a few Spring Break trip ideas that won’t break the bank!

For the Driver:

Orlando

Courtesy: Pixabay

There is NEVER an excuse not to go to Disney! Right now Florida Residents can get a 3-Day ticket to any of the four Disney theme parks for $175, or you could add a fourth day for only $20! This is an absolutely amazing deal when single day tickets to the parks run for over $100! This is the perfect opportunity for anyone who has yet to explore Toy Story Land at Hollywood Studios or Pandora at the Animal Kingdom. Still not sold? Any tickets purchased as part of this deal are good up until June 30, so if you only go to the parks for two days during spring break you can save the other one or two days and treat future you! Wouldn’t that be a sweet way to start the summer? Now if you’re not really the Disney type, then maybe Universal Orlando Resort is the better option for you! They have a similar deal running for Florida Residents: 2 Park- 3 Day Tickets for $160 or add Volcano Bay to your ticket for $25 more. This deal is only valid with codes from specially marked packaging of Coca-Cola or Coke Zero, or on specially marked cups at participating Wendy’s restaurants. It’s not a contest or anything like that, just make sure you read the packaging of the coke you buy and they should include a code for you to enter online. Universal is the perfect trip to plan if you or any of your friends and family have yet to visit Volcano Bay (we exist). These tickets are also valid until June 30, so really, what are you waiting for?

South Florida

Courtesy: AdventuresInFlorida

If you’re not from the South Florida area, then it sure makes a heck of a spot for spring break! Trips to Hollywood Beach, to Miami Beach, to even the Florida Keys are a great time for beach lovers if you’re willing to make the 7+ hour drive. The beaches are beautiful, and for those that want the full experience, the nightlife is sure to meet all your expectations. Airbnb’s start as cheap as $50, and as they get more expensive, they include more occupancy space, meaning you can invite all your friends or family and split it for the cheapest getaway you’ve ever been on! For those of you willing to make the drive a little farther south, the Florida Keys is a favorite for any Miami native. With fresh seafood and bars galore, fishing and boating to last a lifetime and absolutely breathtaking views for miles, there’s no excuse for not taking the extra two hours to get there! Waterfront Airbnb’s start as low as $70 and just like other spots in South Florida, they go up in price depending on maximum occupancy, so gather up all your favorite people and get to planning!

New Orleans  

Courtesy: TripSavvy

Now this one might seem like it’s too long of a drive, but really it’s a shorter drive time than going down to South Florida/The Keys! 6 short hours from FSU’s campus is a place notorious for the amazing food, bars and entertainment. There’s an around-the-clock nightlife scene that takes the phrase “it’s 5 o’clock somewhere,” to a whole new level, so you’ll really never get bored! For those of us who have yet to celebrate our 21st birthday, the amazing food on every corner might be the main attraction. You like spicy? New Orleans has you covered. You like sweet? There’s no shortage of beignets in this city! Unfortunately, the Mardi Gras carnival celebrations end a week and a half before spring break, but that doesn’t stop anyone in New Orleans from having a party on every block you turn. The average nightly rate for most hotels is under or around $100, making New Orleans a Spring Break trip that WON’T break the bank!

For the Flyer:

All flights mentioned are based on flying out of Orlando International Airport.

New York

Courtesy: Grace Burrowes

The Big Apple is one of those cities that most people have visited too many times to count, or have never been to at all. Whether your case is the former or the latter, roundtrip flights during spring break week start as low as $105 and that makes it an ideal spot for a short little vacay! See the Empire State Building, the One World Memorial, eat at any of the hundreds of hole in the wall restaurants and cafés, or visit the NYU and Columbia campuses for one very productive break! Along with cheap flights, there’s no shortage of hotel rooms that start way below $100, and is there ever a bad reason to take a trip to this beautiful city? We didn’t think so!

Washington D.C

Courtesy AARP

Although the current political climate might make you want to steer clear of all things related to D.C., the history and amazing restaurants are worth the trip! All government-run museums in the capital have no admission fees but have super fun experiences and gift shops where you can spend a few dollars for lifelong memories. My personal favorite museum is the National Air and Space Museum—the Albert Einstein Planetarium shows are an absolute must!! Tickets range between $7 and $8, which is a low price for a breathtaking show about all the different elements of our solar system! If you’re looking for a cheap but absolutely delicious place to eat, TD Burger is a restaurant only a few blocks from the White House run by Top Chef Season 7 alum Timothy Dean. The gourmet burgers, all named after presidents, and the home-style mac and cheese are absolutely to die for! Flights run as low as $98 during spring break so you have absolutely nothing to lose! Going on vacation is a must for a stressed college student. It helps us relax and get away from all the craziness of school, work, internships, etc. so that we can come back refreshed and ready to finish the semester off strong. Whether you’re a fun-in-the-sun kind of person or an explore-the-city person, you’re sure to find something on this list that suits your bank and your wanderlust!

Kassandra Curiel is currently a Senior majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media with a minor in Political Science at Florida State.When she's not writing for Her Campus FSU you can cach her watching really bad reality TV, crying because she misses her dog, or re-watching La La Land for the 80th time (this year). 
Her Campus at Florida State University.