5 Books to Convert Any Poetry Hater

There are two kinds of people: those who love poetry and those who don’t. Whether it’s because they don’t understand or simply because it doesn’t interest them, trust me I’ve been there. At times it can be frustrating to sit and try to decipher what these short phrases mean or what story they’re trying to tell. These books are full of simplistic, yet powerful poems that won’t leave you scratching your head with confusion, but rather falling in love with poetry.

Courtesy: Tumblr

Eighteen Years – Madisen Kuhn

“This book is meant to be bent and worn, written in, tear-stained and loved. This book is for you.”

Madisen Kuhn started her poetic career by posting her work on social media; specifically Tumblr. At only 19, she published her debut book after gaining support from her online audience. Eighteen Years features everything from haikus to free verse, allowing poetic diversity. Her poetry, accompanied by illustrations by Laura Supnick, tells stories of growing up and heartache while still remaining positive and lighthearted. These poems are really relatable and will leave you reflecting on your own personal experiences. By the end you’ll feel like you just read through your best friend’s eloquent diary.

Milk and Honey – Rupi Kaur

“I have what I have and I am happy I’ve lost what I’ve lost and I am still happy – outlook” 

Canadian writer Rupi Kaur provides original poems and illustrations in her book Milk and Honey. Her collection of poetry particularly speaks about femininity and strikingly honest experiences. It carries the reader through different stages of life by dividing itself into four parts: the hurting, the loving, the breaking, and the healing. Each section embodies various parts of her life and offers a different lesson to anyone reading it. Milk and Honey features more sensual and raw pieces, but doesn’t divert from carrying powerful messages directed more specifically towards women.  

Chasers of the Light: Poems from Typewriter Series – Tyler Knott Gregson

“What good is a half-lit life? You can burn me to ashes as long as I know we lived a life alright”

Tyler Knott Gregson, creator of the type writer series, published a book full of insightful poetry that leaves readers feeling inspired. Written on a typewriter he purchased for two dollars, the poems are romantic and moving. Chasers of the Light is also visually appealing as it features some of Tyler’s original photographs and work from his type writer. Every page brings something new and insightful through his words and beautiful visuals.

The Dogs I’ve Kissed – Trista Mateer

“I’m sorry that I am back and forth, push and pull instead of effortless simplicity.” 

Trista Mateer started with a blog and now is the author of three poetry collections. She writes about very personal aspects of her life including sexual assault and her relationship with her father. Rather than broken up poetry, The Dogs I’ve Kissed tells a story from start to finish about love and relationships. This book is definitely more on the moodier side, but shines with some dark humor and powerful moments.

Mouthful of Forevers – Clementine Von Radics

“I am learning how to be a grown-up who pays pills, cooks her own meals, and doesn’t cry at the words I think I just want to be friends.”

Clementine Von Radics began to gain acknowledgment with her writing after her poetry became popular on Tumblr. Her work is authentic and follows themes of love, loss, and the confusion that all young people face. Her writing feels like a journal into her life with both the good and the bad. At only 22, many of her experiences mimic those of other girls her age making her work both beautiful and relatable for many.

With balancing exams, papers, and going out, even the most avid readers can find it difficult to make the time to crack open a new novel. Poetry books take away the stress of needing to keep up with strict plot lines and re-reading once you forget them. Just look at poetry like the twitter of literature: sometimes less really is more.

Editing, Writing, and Media major at FSU. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.