I love to read, but this Women’s History Month I want to pay homage to a couple of Black woman authors who have helped to shape who I am today. These books should be on everyone’s must-read lists, especially any Black women who are looking for something new and fun to read.

Courtesy: Book Porn

1. The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl by Issa Rae

Since its start, Insecure has become one of my favorite shows, as its main character is not a sassy Black girl, nor the Black best friend. Instead, like me, she is just an awkward Black girl. My best friend bought me this book a couple of Christmases ago and I recall not putting it down until I was finished a week later. Issa Rae is an awkward Black girl who tells her story starting from her awkward childhood through some relationships, and much more. She harps on her African culture and mixes that with Black, and touches on the lack of knowledge about Black culture to create a piece that allowed me to see myself in a book. To this day, it is still one of my favorite books and I appreciate Issa Rae for telling her story. 

2. I’m Judging You: The Do Better Manual by Luvvie Ajayi

Everyone knows I love African authors, so it’s no surprise that Luvvie Ajayi’s I’m Judging You made it to the list. This book makes for a great laugh as it calls people out on their nonsense in a way that also teaches readers. Pop culture critic Luvvie works to make us all better people through her collection of essays that force you to judge your own behaviors. These lessons teach us a little bit more about social media, fame, culture and so much more. This book gives you new reasons to side-eye everyone while not wanting to put it down till you’ve finished it.

3. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I credit Beyonce for introducing me to Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, whose Ted Talk excerpt was featured on her song “Flawless”. Americanah tells the story of Ifemelu, a Nigerian born woman who moves to America and her adventures. This book dissects what it means to be African American and an African who lives in America through a story that is funny, exciting, and relatable. Often considered a romance story, I like to think of it as an exploration of identity as Ifemelu understands race, nationality and ethnicity and how they all intertwine with each other. Adichie is a powerful author who brings up many important conversations in feminist writing. However, I would also have to admit that Adichie’s views have been criticized as not always being the most inclusive of all those who identify as women. Americanah as a whole is a work of art that forces you to think about race and how it plays into identity.

4. Bad Feminist: Essays by Roxane Gay

This book is actually a collection of essays that have been split up into five sections. Roxane is known for being a funny and insightful author and she does not disappoint in these essays. Every essay stands on its own, so they can be read alone, but they also all come together to create a work that makes you think of feminism and its role in humanity as we know it. Without giving too much away, I enjoyed reading the essays about Chris Brown, Tyler Perry and the Help. My signed copy of Bad Feminist is one of my most prized possessions.

5. The Skin I’m In by Sharon G. Flake

I would describe this book as an oldie but a goodie. I first read The Skin I’m In when I was in fifth grade and going through a rough time coping with being the only Black girl in my class. The story follows 13-year old Maleeka, who is struggling with her dark skin and the terrors of young bullies. Through trials and tribulations, and the help of an empowering woman, she learns a little something about confidence and loving yourself. Although this book is geared towards young adults, it harps on some important topics that can be relevant at any age and I recommend it due to its lasting effects.

Here are some other great books by amazing authors you should check out:

Her Campus at Florida State University.