Style > Beauty

5 Black-Owned Beauty Brands You’ll Never Stop Raving About

It is no secret that the beauty industry has had its share of struggles regarding inclusivity. Shopping for cosmetics, skincare and hair products often presents a struggle for many women of color. This struggle has been due to the missing seat at the table for black and brown women throughout the years in conversations about marketing and production. Thankfully, there has been, in more recent years, a noteworthy growth in representation for women of color within this $445 billion industry. This growth can be attributed to ground-breaking brand launches ushered in by women such as Rihanna and the fearless demands for all-embracing product lines made by heavy-hitting beauty influencers like Jackie Aina. In celebration of these advancements for women like myself, I have crafted this list of five black-owned and operated beauty brands that I believe are worth obsessing over. 

Beauty Bakerie

Courtesy: Instagram (@beautybakeriemakeup)

Beauty Bakerie is a cruelty-free, vegan-friendly line of cosmetics developed by the strong and spirited Cashmere. The story of Beauty Bakerie is one of determination and triumph. At a very young age, the cosmetic line curator began her entrepreneurial journey fervidly drafting business proposals – most of which never actually materialized. Throughout her journey, she had received countless push back from circumstances outside of her control: becoming a single mother at sixteen and later coming close to losing her fight to breast cancer. In the face of all of this adversity, Cashmere never relented and founded Beauty Bakerie on that same principle. The motto of the company is “Better, not Bitter” which encourages young women to find joy in their circumstances and follow through with their passions.

You’ll love her products as much as you love her story, check them both out here.

SkinBUTTR

Courtesy: Instagram (@skinbuttr)

SkinBUTTR was created by model turned entrepreneur Tatianna Price in 2015. Her mission was to simplify beauty regimens, educate women on the complexities of their skin, build the confidence of her costumers to encourage them to be the best version of themselves and promote healthy and happy skin. These life-changing products are 100 percent natural, handmade and free of harmful parabens and chemicals.

I encourage you to “get BUTTR’d” and check out these products here.

Taliah Waajid

Courtesy: Instagram (@taliahwaajidbrand)

If you know, you know. Taliah Waajid’s brand is nothing new to the natural hair care industry. This trailblazing entrepreneur’s curations are tried-and-true and have continued to set the standard for hair care products within the natural hair community for over two decades. The brand was born from Waajid’s struggle learning to manage and style her natural hair and the opposition that she received in her attempts to celebrate and appreciate natural hair textures. All of her products are paraben and chemical-free and designed to help consumers achieve healthier hair and fall deeper in love with their authentic selves.

Fall in love with yourself and Taliah Waajid here.

Pat McGrath Labs

Courtesy: Instagram (@ohmy_stellar)

Widely regarded as the “Mother of Makeup” I would be remiss if I did not include the iconic Pat McGrath on this list of must-have beauty brands. McGrath’s innovation and creative genius have made her one of the most influential makeup artists of all time. She is a veteran in the beauty industry, having launched her career in the early 1990s working alongside Alexander McQueen and John Galliano to create mesmerizing runway looks that incorporated bold hues and materials that were never before utilized, such as feathers and ornaments. She broke new boundaries in 2015 with the launch of her cosmetic line Pat McGrath Labs and has become a Sephora bestseller and household name ever since.

You’ll want to join the Pat McGrath fan club after clicking here.

IMAN Cosmetics 

Courtesy: Instagram (@imancosmetics)

IMAN cosmetics is a premier cosmetic and skincare collection created by the legendary Somali-American supermodel and activist Zara Mohammad Abdulmajid, better known as Iman. This brand boast of being designed specifically with women of color in mind. Iman is no stranger to all things beauty and her experience as a person of color within the fashion industry lead to her creation of this all-inclusive cosmetic line. The shades represented within this line ensure that you will be able to find your perfect match in each product.

You too can achieve Iman’s barely-there makeup look after checking out her line of products here.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Joelle Malika is a fourth year student at Florida State University studying English: Editing, Writing & Media with a passion for womxn's rights and social advocacy. When she isn't writing for HerCampus she is exploring her multitude of other interests which range from beauty and fashion to politics and activism. Instagram: @joelle.malika
Her Campus at Florida State University.