etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 5 Best Spring Break Destinations in Florida

It’s officailly two weeks before spring break. You don’t have enough cash stashed away to book that week long Caribbean cruise with your roommates and plane tickets to visit your best friend from camp who lives in sunny California are outrageously priced. That doesn’t mean you’re destined to sit at home on your couch passive aggressively ‘liking’ all of your friends fun spring break photos while your mom yells at you to go do something. Florida has plenty of spring break destinations that are an affordable road trip away from Tallahassee. So don’t fret, we’ve got you covered this spring break.

1. Panama City Beach

Courtesy: Country Music North

Ok, this one is obvious, I know. But there’s a reason PCB is one of the top college spring break destinations in the country. The town has beautiful beaches to offer during the day and a fun club scene for all you night owls out there. If you want a quick road trip to the beach this break, it’s less than a 2 hour drive from Tally, making it the perfect destination. So check out Airbnb to find a place to stay, and go get drunk and tan this spring break.

2. New Smyrna Beach

Courtesy: Visit Florida

Looking for a more relaxing spring break this year? New Smyrna Beach is a great place to consider. It’s a cozy beach town known for its surfing, so you really can’t get any more laid back than that. While it’s touristy, you can avoid the crazy party scene altogether in this town if that’s not your thing.  If you’re down to surf a few sets this break, head on over to the East Coast and check out New Smyrna, just beware of the sharks!

3. St. Petersburg

Courtesy: CNN

St. Pete is another Florida gem to add to the spring break bucket list. Fort De Soto, a beautiful state park located near St. Pete Beach, is the perfect spot to camp out and enjoy the beauties that the gulf coast has to offer. Downtown St. Pete is not far from the beaches and has a lot of restaurants and bars to offer for tourists and residents alike. I might be a little biased considering it’s my hometown, but trust me when I say spring break in the Burg is a treat you don’t want to miss out on.

4. Orlando

Courtesy: USA Today 10 Best

If you don’t really enjoy the beach, you aren’t doomed to a sub-par spring break. Orlando has an abundance of fun theme parks to choose from, making it a great place to visit this March. What better way to spend spring break than walking around Magic Kingdom in your Minnie Mouse ears? A lot of onsite hotels for the parks offer packages when you stay with them, so even if you’re on a budget this break, you can find one that works for you and your wallet!

5. The Florida Keys

Courtesy: Bed and Breakfast

Go snorkeling this break and check out all the beautiful wild life that the Florida Keys has to offer. While you’re there you can check out the southernmost point in the United States or hit the water and do some sailing. Grab a drink and watch a beautiful sunset while you’re at it. The Keys has so much to offer from its rich history to the beautiful waters.  If you’re willing to make the drive down, it’ll be well worth your time (and gas).

When you’re deciding what to do this spring break, don’t discount the treasures that Florida has to offer. Even if you aren’t hopping on a cruise, you can have a great time off from school. Grab some friends and take a road trip. Regardless of what you do, you’re bound to make some great memories. I mean, isn’t that what college is all about?

Caylen is a Senior at Florida State University. She is Majoring in English Literature. Caylen loves reading, elephants, Chick-fil-A, and her Netflix account.
Her Campus at Florida State University.