Style > Beauty

5 Beauty Products You Probably Already Have in Your Kitchen

Hey Collegiettes! I’m Melizza Black, your HC FSU Beauty Guru. I spend my time watching makeup tutorials and product reviews while simultaneously scrolling through Instagram to catch up on the latest makeup news. If you’re as passionate as I am about a bright highlight and a strong contour, look out for my weekly beauty articles!

Happy Spring Collegiettes! If your hair and skin are feeling dull and dry from partying too hard over spring break, or anticipating the massive amount of final tests and projects headed your way soon, then it’s time to revamp your routine! The college girl struggle doesn’t always allow us to head out to our closest Sephora and splurge on top name brand hair and skin care, so I’m here to tell you how to achieve the same revitalized, relaxed and glowing hair and skin with products you probably have in your refrigerator or kitchen cabinet.

1. Coconut Oil

Courtesy: Feedblitz

If you don’t already know about this one, then you’ve been hiding under a rock. Coconut oil has a TON of different uses. Use it as a hair mask and apply it to your hair for a few minutes before a shower, leaving your hair feeling stronger and softer (plus it promotes hair growth!).  Coconut oil is also a great makeup remover. After a long day of work and classes, apply it straight onto your face to get rid of every last inch of caked on foundation and dry mascara. Apply it again as a moisturizer after washing your face. 

2. Olive Oil 

Courtesy: Paleo Plan

Like coconut oil, olive oil works wonders as a hair mask. If your hair is feeling dry or frizzy apply olive oil to it (wet or dry) and let it sink in for a few minutes before rinsing it out with shampoo. Olive oil gives the hair and scalp a deep clean by getting rid of the dirt and build up it accumulates over time. The longer you leave it in, the better. 

3. Sugar

Courtesy: Prevention

Sugar is a great natural exfoliator. While it may be a little too rough to use on your face, mix it with honey or coconut oil to create a great lip scrub. This will get rid of all the dead skin and increase blood flow to your lips making you one step closer to Kylie Jenner lip perfection. 

4.  Avocado

Courtesy: Medical News Today

Plot twist: avocados aren’t just good on toast. They work really well as a facemask! Avocadoes are full of natural vitamins and minerals that your skin it going to love. So there’s no need to apply all kinds of weird chemicals that you can’t pronounce to your face. Simply remove the pit, mash the avocado up with a fork or spoon and apply it to your face. Your skin will feel soft and refreshed in no time!

5.  Cucumbers

Courtesy: Medical News Today

Pulling all-nighters at Stroz can result in some serious under eye circles. Lack of sleep causes your under eyes to become dark and puffy and sometimes concealer just isn’t enough. Use cucumbers for a quick and easy fix! Slice up a cucumber (make sure its chilled!) and apply the slices to your under eye for five minutes. Not only does the coolness feel relaxing, but it reduces swelling. That paired with the natural antioxidants found in cucumbers will leave your under eyes less irritated and swollen. 

So what are you waiting for?! Get down to your kitchen (or the Publix on Ocala) and give your skin and hair the TLC they’ve been begging you for!

I'm currently studying Editing Writing & Media and Public Relations at FSU. When I'm not busy, I love scouting out new restaurants, parks and things to do around Tallahassee. And of course I document it all on Instagram! #DoItForTheGram
Her Campus at Florida State University.