1. Thomasville, GA

If you haven’t checked out Thomasville, Georgia yet, this winter season is the perfect time to make the trip! A short 45-minute drive from campus is all it takes to get to this historic downtown area. This cute spot has cute boutiques, specialty shops and so many different cafes and restaurants. A fan-favorite restaurant in Thomasville is Jonah’s Fish and Grits. If you’re a fan of seafood you won’t be disappointed. Thomasville has so many perfect photo-ops places! Throw on your favorite cozy sweater and grab some friends to tag along to snap some pics. The city’s 33rd Annual Victorian Christmas Festival takes place on Friday, Dec 13. There will be performers, carolers, carriage rides and even marshmallow toasting! It sounds like an event that will surely get you into the holiday spirit!

Courtesy: Chloe Cannan

2. Seaside Beach

Last spring, I took a two and a half hour trip to Seaside beach with a few friends. Since then it has become one of my favorite spots. You know those shirts that everyone and their mother has that says “Seaside” across the front in bold letters? Yeah, well this is the place. Their pristine beaches and pretty sunsets are something you have to see for yourself. Local gourmet food trucks line the street right across from the beach and feature a barbeque place, Hawaiian shaved ice, organic smoothies, and your classic grilled cheese sandwiches. Visiting Seaside will definitely make you want to plan a longer stay. Grab a volleyball and some towels and you’re all set!

Courtesy: Sarah Bordeaux

3. Panama City Beach

Another much-loved beach is Panama City Beach. This beach is only about 2 hours from campus and is known for its miles of beautiful white-sand beaches and clear waters. The drive down 30A will keep you occupied with its scenic route. A state park nearby, St. Andrew’s State Park, has hiking trails and fishing piers. There are plenty of restaurants, shopping and bars to keep you staying busy. Pier Park, a shopping center nearby, has everything you could ever want and need. If you’re looking for a relaxing and fun place to stay for a few days, check out PCB! You won’t regret it.

Courtesy: Flickr

4. Madison Blue Springs

One of the closer places near Tallahassee is Madison Blue Springs State Park. I like to think of it as a little hidden gem. Located only about an hour away from campus, this spot features a spring that you can swim in that’s surrounded by lush forests. It only costs $4 per vehicle to enter. When I went last year, my friends and I brought a little cooler with some Pub Subs and drinks and had a little picnic! We spent some time swimming in the springs and even though it was cold, it was so amazing. Bring some goggles if you want to take a look down below!

Courtesy: Sarah Bordeaux

5. Alligator Point

I have never visited Alligator Point Beach but I’m sure there will be a trip planned here in the near future. I’ve heard so many friends say good things about it! It’s only an hour away from Tallahassee! It’s known to be a quieter and more relaxed beach. If you’re looking for more to do than just go to the beach, there are also local spots to hike, bike, kayak and swim! If you’re an outdoorsy kind of gal, this is perfect for you.

Courtesy: TripAdvisor

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Born and raised in Florida. Currently a senior studying marketing at Florida State University. My passions include scrolling endlessly through social media, enjoying time with friends, and being near any body of water.
Her Campus at Florida State University.