With International Women’s Day right around the corner, it’s important to focus on empowering the women who need it most. Take a look at some of the incredible organizations seeking to positively impact the lives of marginalized women across the globe!

1. Girls Not Brides

Courtesy: Girls Not Brides

Child marriage is defined as “any formal marriage or informal union where one or both of the parties are under 18 years of age.” Approximately 12 million girls are involved in a child marriage each year, which is roughly 23 girls every minute. Founded in 2011, Girls Not Brides is a global initiative committed to ending child marriage. The ultimate goal of this organization is to enable young girls to reach their full potential in life.

2. Women for Women International

Courtesy: Women for Women International

Women for Women International supports marginalized women in countries affected by conflict and war. The program is designed to promote self-confidence through economic empowerment, social empowerment, response to conflict and sustained peace. They aim to give women the resources and skills they need to understand their rights, earn an income and believe in themselves.  

3. Days for Girls

Courtesy: Days for Girls

“Turning periods into pathways,” Days for Girls is an organization that helps increase access to menstrual care and education for girls and women across the globe. The movement has already reached over one million girls in over 125 countries with both menstrual education and supplies. The organization has created a long-lasting menstrual kit (equipped with panties, soap, a washcloth, reusable liners and waterproof shields) that they have been distributing worldwide to countless girls and women in need.

4. Women on Wings

Courtesy: Women on Wings

This organization aims to create one million jobs for women in rural India. Due to the severe shortage of paid work available, India’s underclass lives on approximately two dollars a day. This lack of family income creates high levels of poverty, malnutrition and illiteracy. Women on Wings hopes to give women an income in order to provide economic freedom, a better future for their children and an escape from the poverty cycle.

5. Provide

Courtesy: Provide

Issues like substance abuse, HIV, domestic violence, sexual assault and unintended pregnancy are creating a demand for change in the world of healthcare. Provide seeks to help create this change by responding to women’s healthcare needs through developmental training and technical assistance. The organization helps empower women by providing “accurate, informed, and non-judgmental referrals for unintended pregnancy and abortion care.”

School: Florida State University Year: Senior Major: Editing, Writing, and Media
Her Campus at Florida State University.