4 Ways to Get Over a Breakup

Whether it’s a guy who has swept you off your feet or you are coming down with a bad case of the “Taylor Swift Syndrome”, no one understands trying to get over a bad breakup better than other women.

It’s true that every case is different, for instance, the amount of time you invest in dating a guy and how hard you actually fall for him are important factors in determining the difficulty of leaving him behind; however, the answers to the problem all seem to be the same in end. The only thing that differs is the longer you were in that committed relationship, the longer you need to get over it. Falling for a superficial guy who walked straight out of a Nicholas Sparks movie does not compare to falling for a guy who you were emotionally, psychically and intellectually attracted to.  I’m thinking Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester, or better yet, Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett (we are college students after all). We’ve all been there; every girl has sat starry eyed in class, daydreaming about that guy who would do everything right from day one. Then we grow up and reality hits, which often times leads to you or both eventually getting hurt.

Whoever the guy is and whatever the situation, if you are conscious that the failure of your relationship has been more difficult to get through this time versus the previous ones, it may be time to gather the help of your fellow sisters. We can help you take that brave step and move on to bigger and better things.

Moving on requires you to keep busy and surround yourself with people that you trust. I have come up with a couple of tips that may help downsize the bitterness of that “moving-on” process.

1.      Grab a few sticky notes, write down positive messages and stick them all around your room. They can be your favorite lyrics, quotes from a person you admire, or any uplifting phrase! When you are feeling bogged down by a guy, it is crucial to build up your motivation and feeling of independence. Don’t undermine the power of these little pick-me-ups!

2.      Head over to your local animal shelter! Personally, this is the best distraction because abandoned or neglected animals are receiving much needed love, and you are getting to play with furry little balls of joy that will put a smile on your face. It’s a win-win!

3.      Never used Groupon? This is the perfect time to give it a shot! For those who are not familiar with this glorious site, Groupon provides a “deal-of-the-day service” that promotes discounted deals from any local business or organization. Grab your closest girlfriends and try belly dancing classes or even a manatee snorkeling tour. Doing something new and spending time with your friends will slowly make you forget about what’s-his-name.

4.      I know you’ve heard this one before, but it really is a good way to release negative energy and build yourself up. Zoning out on a good workout –accompanied by an uplifting and empowering playlist—will cause your body to release chemicals called endorphins leading to a refreshing feeling of wellbeing.

Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."
My name is Mary Love and I'm a Senior and double major in English and Hotel Management at Florida State University.  I am more commonly found writing fiction pieces, and editing everything I can.  Her Campus is my first venture into published nonfiction and women's magazines.  I think Her Campus is a great resource for women who are both smart and feminine.  If you would like to contact me for an interview or to answer a Zodiac Question as Madame Mary, please email marylove@hercampus.com.