4 Tips to a Last Minute Spring Weekend Bod!

Spring Weekend is coming up right around the corner, which means it’s time to flaunt that sexy body!

If you are an avid procrastinator and haven’t had the chance to begin your Spring Break fitness regiment, don’t worry! It is not too late to do something about that flabby stomach and those jiggly arms.

First things first: In order to lose belly fat, you have to change your eating habits. Being in college can sometimes be stressful and leave you with little time to prepare healthy meals, but there are several simple options that could melt that belly away fast.

1.     Grab a handful of color: All-you-can-eat snacks like sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, fresh berries and cucumber slices can be filling and delicious. You could dip steamed artichoke in Greek yogurt and Dijon mustard. For a protein boost, try a hard-boiled egg or some deli turkey slices.

2.     Cut Out the Wheat: Wheat gluten (the main protein in wheat) was never meant to be processed by the body. It is considered “insoluble” and can add the pounds easier than most sugary foods. On top of that, wheat breads are completely processed. They contain ingredients for preservation that may be harmful to the body and lead to an excess bulge. Cutting out wheat can cleanse the body, and would be cutting down on calories and excess sugar.

3.     Amp Up those MUFAs: Instead of wheat, try eating fruits and vegetables and fats! Yes, you’ve read correctly. There is a misconception that fats make you fat, however “good” fats (essential oils) make the body burn more fat. Healthy oils such as olives, nuts, avocados, chocolate (dark) and seeds are great for the body; they provide the monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) needed for your body to function at its best. Omega-3s are also important; you can find these in cold-water fish, grass-fed meats, nuts, seeds and even some fruits.  By eating your daily dose of MUFAs, you are protecting your body from heart diseases, encouraging muscle growth and increasing fat-burn.

4.     The Low Down on the Slim Down: If you’re going to burn that belly, you are going to have to commit to at least 45 minutes of Cardio every other day and 25-30 minutes of belly exercises 3 days a week. Cardio could be as simple as speed walking around the neighborhood, or taking advantage of your free Leach membership to use the treadmill or the elliptical. For belly exercises, Prevention Magazine suggests the following exercises using a ball.

–       The Reverse Crunch – do 12 to 15 reps of each, making sure to contract the abs and lift the hips 3 to 6 inches off the ground.

–       Rock and Roll– Make a fist and place it firmly on the ball, your knees are on the ground, face straight ahead and abs tight. Lean forward, rolling unto forearms and straighten body to a 45-degree angle. Hold for one second then role back to starting position.

–       Ball Curl– Sit on the ball with legs at a 90-degree angle. Roll ball from the butt to the middle of the back while keeping your balance. Keep the belly contracted and curl forward; hold one second then return.

–       The Skier– This is the plank position on the ball. Place the ball under your thighs for support and make sure that hands are placed firmly on the ground, creating a 90-degree angle with your upper body.  Bend the knees and pull them and the ball to the right; hold for one second then return and repeat for the left side.

–       Pike– Start in the same position as the Skier, but this time roll the ball from your legs to your feet; you should be in a half handstand right now. Hold for one second then return to previous position.

Remember, in order for these exercises to work, you have to do 12 to 15 reps of each move and try to do a burst of cardio in between.  Jumping rope for 2 minutes or doing jumping jacks would pump the heart and increase the calorie-burn.

Follow this guide, I guarantee you’ll look smokin’ this Spring Weekend. Holla at your girl!