4 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Forget About Thanksgiving

We all know at least one person who’s just a little too enthusiastic about Christmas. Maybe you are that person. Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas just as much as the next gal. There’s something so magical about the entire season: the overall cheerfulness, the exchanging of gifts, the snow (that is unless you’re in Florida). But I think we’ve reached a point where there’s too much Christmas.

If you’re one of the aforementioned overzealous Christmas fanatics, please do not come for me. I’ve been called a Grinch on more than one occasion, but it has nothing to do with me hating Christmas because I definitely do not hate Christmas. I just think that other holidays (*cough* Thanksgiving) shouldn’t be overrun in our enthusiasm for the winter holiday season. Thanksgiving may not be my favorite holiday, but it is still a national holiday, and an important one, nonetheless. So, to the girl who’s had her Christmas decorations up since November 1, here are a few reasons you shouldn’t be forgetting about Thanksgiving. 

It’s an important part of our country’s history.

First and foremost, Thanksgiving is a time for us to reflect on our country’s history. After their voyage to North America in September of 1620, the Pilgrims would endure a brutal winter, many of them remaining on board their ship until March. Although Scream Queens’ Chanel Oberlin may believe the Pilgrims then met Sacagawea, it was actually a Native American named Squanto who introduced the settlers to the Wampanoag tribe and taught them how to harvest corn. The first Thanksgiving was celebrated in 1621 following the Pilgrims’ first successful harvest in the New World. If it hadn’t been for the generosity of Squanto and the Wampanoag people, the Pilgrims likely would have died off. In general, many tend to disregard Native American people, just as they disregard Thanksgiving. A holiday which celebrates that many of our bloodlines would not be around today if it weren’t for the help of the Native American people (…tea?). To forget this part of our history, in my eyes, does a great disservice to their kindness and their overall impact on the history of the United States.

It gives you a reason to really think about the things you’re thankful for in your life.

It’s not often that we sit down and really remind ourselves of all the things that we’re grateful for unless your therapist makes you do it at the end of every session, but I wouldn’t know anything about that. Life moves so fast sometimes that it’s hard to focus on what’s good. But having a widely celebrated holiday centered around giving thanks makes us stop once a year and think about the people, experiences and opportunities that we have to be thankful for. Taking a second to really appreciate those things that make your life worth living is never a bad thing.

The longer we celebrate Christmas, the less special it becomes.

Besides the whole forgetting-that-Native-Americans-are-a-really-important-part-of-our-histor thing, this is what bothers me the most. I blame all the stores who put their Christmas decorations out in October. Didn’t you people ever read that book in elementary school about the kid who lived in a world where Christmas was every day, but there was one day where it wasn’t Christmas and that was his favorite day of the year? My point being, that Christmas is special because it’s a once a year thing. The sooner we start celebrating, the less special it becomes.

The food. 

Thanksgiving food really hits different. Other holiday food is also good, but Thanksgiving is literally an entire holiday dedicated to food, so what could you possibly complain about? Even my worst Thanksgiving meals have been better than any regular meals I’ve ever had. Yes, this does only apply if your family knows how to cook, and if they don’t, I’m so sorry but I cannot relate. If you don’t deep fry your turkey, you’re doing something wrong, no offense. Plus, there’s nothing like leftover cold turkey sandwiches.

All gifs courtesy of Giphy.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Brittany is a senior at FSU double-majoring in Creative Writing and Media Communication Studies. She loves movies, iced coffee, and a good meme, and hopes to become a screenwriter after graduation.
Her Campus at Florida State University.