4 New Smartphones You Should Know About

Now that smartphones have undoubtedly embedded themselves into society, living everyday life is almost impossible without them. From making simple calls and text messages to listening to music and being able to surf the net with ease, choosing the right phone to fit our needs becomes more complicated with every completed two-year contract. That’s why I’m here: to give you the lowdown on the newest smartphones and explain what makes them individually unique to suit your needs as a college student.

1. Apple iPhone 5S/5C

Apple has done it again, folks. With the debut of their two newest iPhones this past September, the 5S is actually still on backorder (I’m still trying to get my hands on one!) and it’s what, November now? Also, are there any serious differences between these new iPhones except their appearances and prices? I’m here to confirm that yes, there are, and you should definitely consider each of these respective features if you are thinking of getting a new iPhone.

The iPhone 5S:

Source: Guardianlv.com

●       Available in Space Gray, Silver, and Gold

●       Aluminum shell

●       4.87-in tall, 2.31-in wide, and weighs 3.95 ounces

●       Comes with new “A7” chip containing the new 64-bit processor along with the first of its kind, an “M7” motion coprocessor chip

●       8-megapixel iSight camera with a new 1.5-ultrapixels

●       New fingerprint identity sensor called “Touch ID,” mainly used for locking your phone

●       16GB is $199, 32GB is $299, 64GB is $399

The iPhone 5C:

Source: Abcnews.go.com

●       Available in White, Pink, Yellow, Green, and Blue

●       Plastic polycarbonate shell

●       4.90-in tall, 2.33-in wide, and weighs 4.65 ounces

●       Includes the “A6” chip from the iPhone 5, an upgrade from the “A5” chip from the 4S

●       8-megapixel iSight camera

●       16 GB is $99, 32 GB is $199

Both phones run the new iOS 7 software, have a 4-inch retina display with 326 pixels per inch (ppi), the “Siri” intelligent assistant, 1GB of RAM for multitasking, and LED support for quick connectivity outside of wifi networks. iPhones are supported on AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile networks.

Source: Apple.com/GSMArena.com

2. Motorola Moto X

Source: Abcnews.go.com (Left) and Sitesgadget.com (Right)

At first glance, the Moto X is just another Android phone, but what you may not know is that it’s the first of its kind. The “Moto Maker” on Motorola’s website allows you to be the designer of your phone. From a generous assortment of colors, you can choose the back shell color of your phone, the front shell color (white or black), and the accent. Some features of the Moto X include:

●       Glass front shell, polycarbonate back shell

●       A curved shape for comfortable and easy grip

●       5.09-in tall, 2.57-in wide, and weighs 4.59 ounces

●       4.7-inch screen with 312 ppi

●       Dual-core processors from Snapdragon

●       *Android OS “Jelly Bean,” Version 4.2.2

●       2GB of RAM for multitasking

●       10-megapixel camera, 2-megapixel front-face camera

●       Document viewer/organizer

●       “Google Talk” capability

●       LTE support

●       Up to 576 hr standby time, 13 hr talk time

The Moto X is currently available for 16GB at $99 on AT&T and Sprint, and $199 on the Verizon platform, each for two-year contracts.

Source: GSMArena.com

3. LG G2

Source: Abcnews.go.com

Posing as a successor to the Optimus G and Optimus G Pro, the G2 is the latest phone from LG Electronics. Unlike older Android phones, the G2 has the new Snapdragon 800 chip, making this phone beastly fast. The G2 also has virtual buttons on the screen and a unique volume slider feature on the back (see picture above).

●       Available in White or Black

●       Polycarbonate shell

●       5.45-in tall, 2.79-in wide, and weighs 5.04 ounces

●       5.2-inch screen with 424 ppi

●       Quad-core processor from Snapdragon 800

●       32GB of internal memory, 2GB of RAM for multitasking

●       13-megapixel camera, 2.1-megapixel front-face camera

●       LTE support

The LG G2 is compatible on AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, for $149 with a two-year contract. For a T-Mobile monthly plan, its $80 up front and $24 per month.

Source: GSMArena.com

4. Nokia Lumia 1020

Source: Digitaltrends.com

For all of you amateur photographers and hardcore Instagramers out there, the Nokia Lumia may be the phone for you. The picture quality is just mind blowing. With a 41-megapixel camera, Carl Zeiss optics, optical image stabilization, and auto/manual focus. This phone’s camera is perfect for taking faraway snapshots without having to move anything but your fingers. Even with nosebleed seats at concerts or sporting events, the Nokia Lumia is capable of taking photos and videos as if you were in the front row. Before considering the Nokia Lumia 1020 as your next most prized possession, here are some other features you should take into account:

●       Available in Yellow, White, Black, and Red (AT&T exclusive)

●       Polycarbonate shell with aluminum camera piece on back

●       5.13-in tall, 2.81-in wide, and weighs 5.57 ounces

●       4.5-inch screen with 332 ppi

●       1.2-megapixel front-face camera

●       Microsoft Windows Phone 8 OS, upgradeable to WP8 Amber

●       Dual-core processor from Snapdragon

●       LTE support

●       Up to 384 hr standby time, 13 hr 20 min talk time, and 63 hr music play

You can get the Nokia Lumia 1020 on AT&T for $199 with a two-year contract.

Source: GSMArena.com

*Note: The Moto X and LG G2 along with a few other Android OS phones will be able to upgrade to “KitKat” Version 4.4 which was announced about a week ago.

Alexa is in her junior year here at FSU as an Editing, Writing, and Media major with a Communications minor. She found solace in writing as a form of self-expression and aspires to pursue a career involving media in a journalistic setting. She takes pride in her studies and works hard for her grades. When she has free time, you’ll find her hoarding makeup and handbags, online shopping, on YouTube, or listening to Adam Levine’s angelic voice. She has a fascination with Ernest Hemingway, and hopes to read all of his work someday. She is excited to be working on Her Campus this year as a staff writer, as well as run the Her Campus Facebook page. Come like HC FSU on Facebook to get quick updates on articles that get published to the site.You can also find her on twitter @alexa_please and on Instagram @alexaplease! =)
Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."