4 Movies You Don’t Want to Miss This Semester at the SLC

Whether you’re in the mood for a childhood classic, a blockbuster film or something a little more on the alternative side, the Student Life Cinema has you covered for mid-spring this semester at the Askew Student Life Center. Though the SLC has always done an exceptional job of choosing the movies that are shown at our on-campus movie theater – thanks to the all-student committee calling the shots – the lineup of films scheduled over the next few weeks easily surpasses that of past semesters. The SLC recently provided students with a killer overview of the mid-spring lineup, incorporating all the movies scheduled to play into one epic trailer, and to say that I’m excited would be an understatement. Here is a list of the top four movies you won’t want to miss this semester: 

4. “The Aristocats”

Feb. 14-15 at 7:45 p.m. and 10 p.m. 

Courtesy: Find Cat Names

I don’t know about you guys, but this was always one of my favorite movies to watch and sing along to as a child. Follow these pampered housecats on their quest to find their way back home after having been kidnapped by their jealous butler. This journey takes place with the help of the smoothest cat known to fiction, Thomas O’Malley, who quickly finesses his way into our hearts with his alley cat attitude. If you aren’t sold on seeing this movie yet, there is literally a song called “Everybody Wants to Be a Cat,” and I honestly don’t know what more a person could ask for. 

3. “Moana”

Feb. 16-18 at 7:30 p.m. and 10:15 p.m.; 7:30 p.m. only on Friday

Courtesy: Moviefone

Let’s be real, you’re never too old to watch a Disney movie. I know this, Disney knows this and the SLC knows this. So, grab some friends and go watch Princess Moana embark on an epic journey across the sea to save her island from a life-threatening curse. She is accompanied, of course, by two unexpected sidekicks; one being a chicken and the other being a demigod played by none other than Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, which is sure to make for an entertaining trio. 

2. “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”

Feb. 23-25 at 7 p.m. and 10:15 p.m.

Courtesy: Reel Honest Reviews

This one is for all the Potterheads out there! In the latest J.K. Rowling creation, which is based on her book sharing the same title, we are following the tale of writer Newt Scamander and his adventures with a curious suitcase full of magical creatures. Just imagine the wizarding world we already know and love, but set in 1920s New York – what more do I have to say? 

1. “The Edge of Seventeen”

Feb. 28-March 2 at 7:30 p.m. and 10:15 p.m. 

Courtesy: Birth Movies Death

If there’s anything you need to know about me when it comes to movies, it’s that I’m a sucker for a good coming-of-age story. “The Edge of Seventeen” tells the story of Nadine (Hailee Steinfeld), a socially awkward high schooler who is just trying to enjoy her teenage years while she can, which is much harder than she had anticipated – as seems to happen to most socially awkward high schoolers. If you’re in the mood for bad haircuts, uncomfortable make-out sessions and finding out your best friend is in a relationship with your hot older brother, I strongly urge you to go see this movie. 

I'm a junior at Florida State University, double majoring in Editing, Writing and Media and Media Communication Studies. I love every kind of music and find the most joy in life when I'm at a concert. Writing and cleaning are my two favorite hobbies, and my Netflix queue tends to consist of cooking shows and teen dramas (The Great British Bake Off and Thirteen Reasons Why are my current favorites).
Her Campus at Florida State University.