anandapng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
anandapng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Frederline Jean Philippe

3 Ways To Spice Up Your Work Attire

After months of updating your LinkedIn account, revising your resumé, and going on countless interviews you finally landed the job. Congratulations, you did it! But what are you going to wear to this said job? You may be thinking just because you work in a more professional setting you have to settle on wearing basic colors. However, I’m here to tell you that professional clothing does not mean you have to stifle your creativity if anything this is your time to explore it.

On the second edition of WWAW? (What would Ananda Wear?) I am showcasing three different ways you can stand out in your office without the fear of not being taken seriously.

A high-neckline floral blouse like this one can bring some fun into your work outfit. If you want to add some color into your outfit without going all the way, you can find a solid colored shirt with small elements of color. The pop of yellow and orange paired with solid colored pants and black dress shoes helps keep the balance between creative and classy, so you can avoid the dress code talk with your boss.

If your office doesn’t allow bold colors (then quit) or if you want to remain more low-key, there are ways to be expressive with more subtle tones. Pastels are a great way to experiment without pushing the envelope too far. A great example is this collared top styled with these light-colored trousers. If you ever feel like your outfit is too colorful for your workplace, try picking up some pastel pieces. The muted pink in the pants helps tone down the overall outfit.

Last but certainly not least, a statement piece. Whether it’s a blouse, skirt or trousers, bright colors will definitely add a pop to any work outfit. The black and white in this zebra print dress shirt paired with the blue allow for the skirt to stand out without being too overwhelming. This zebra print button-down is an interesting twist on the normal black or white work shirt. Together, these two juxtaposing pieces come together to create an eye-catching professional outfit just in time for work.

No matter if you’re just starting or have been at the same job for a year, it can be really easy to get stuck in the habit of wearing the same colors over and over again. If your job is not one you typically enjoy, it’s especially important to wear clothes that can help keep your spirits up during the day. Research shows that color in anything from clothes to landscapes can change your mood so you’re happier and more confident. Whether you’re sitting behind a desk, presenting or just interning, remember it’s okay to step outside of the box every now and again even if it’s just to cheer yourself up.

All photos are courtesy of Frederline Jean Philippe.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Ananda York is a Floridian writer of Jamaican descent. She loves Fashion, Beauty, Social Media, and Entrepreneurship and is currently coming up with a way to combine all of those into a major.
Her Campus at Florida State University.