3 Ways to Practice the Gift of Giving This Holiday Season

The holidays are an amazing time of the year. There’s great food, you’re surrounded by family, the smell of Christmas trees is in the air and most of all, the giving and receiving of gifts. Throughout the years, the holiday season has become more and more commercialized. Black Friday is now starting on Thanksgiving afternoon rather than the Friday after, commercials are screaming “buy, buy, buy!” and the excitement of the upcoming season has become more about what one is going to receive rather than what they are going to give to their friends, family and more importantly, the community. With all the cool new stuff that has been released and the great sales that we come across during the holiday season, we have lost sight of the most important thing: giving back. 

I am a Jewish member of the community in both my home (Ft. Lauderdale) and here at Florida State. I was a member of B’nai B’rith Youth Organization in high school and now I am a new member of Chabad. Even though Chanukah is sometimes underrated in comparison with Christmas, I must say that fall and winter are my favorite times of the year. Everyone is feeling good with the Christmas music playing and the “Spirit of Christmas” brings out the best in everyone; even people at my work are jolly and cheerful! I believe that the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas is known as a time of feeling good and giving back, and this is the time that you see the best in everyone. 

These next few weeks, soup kitchens will be filled with people lining up for food and they will be struggling to feed them. Places such as homeless shelters and other charities from around the world will be working tirelessly to make these next couple of weeks special, even if they are understaffed and underfunded. The holiday season is supposed to be a joyous time for everyone and the gift of giving is not about self- fulfillment or feeling good for what you did but rather to help the community members enjoy their holiday season as well. This holiday season, you can do your best to practice the gift of giving in the following ways:

Courtesy: Bisson

1. Buy a little extra and donate it.

Next time you’re at the grocery store, pick up a little extra such as some canned goods. There are homeless shelters and soup kitchens that are always accepting donations, but especially during this time of year. 

2. Those clothes that you don’t wear anymore?

Places such as the Salvation Army along with the Big Bend here in Tallahassee are always accepting donations.

3. Broke College Student? Give your time.

There is nothing more special than face-to-face contact with the people that need help this holiday season. Take some time out of your day and find places that accept volunteers and go and help out. You can check local listings online. In times like this places are always looking for volunteers to help. 

So this season, instead of racing to the cash register to buy something new for yourself that you don’t need, think of what you can give to someone else. November and December may be recognized as the time for gift giving and random acts of kindness, and it’s always a great time to start the act of giving, but don’t forget that there are a whole other ten months in the year that you can donate your time to others who need it. This holiday season, practice the gift of giving.

Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. <3 

Her Campus at Florida State University.