3 Ways to Make Your April Greener

As we are in the month of April and rapidly approaching Earth Day, it’s time to think about how to make your life a little bit more eco-friendly, green and sustainable. There are many changes that can be made to benefit your life as well as the environment. Given the current political climate, it is more important than ever to spark a grassroots effort that focuses on increasing sustainability in our everyday lives. Here are 3 simple changes that you can make during the month of April (and year-round) to help the environment:

1. Use reusable bags at Publix

This one is simple. As a college student, I have collected many free tote bags over the years from housing fairs and other events around campus. Instead of letting these take up space in your closet, break them out to carry your groceries. The plastic bags provided by grocery stores aren’t biodegradable, so make use of what you have and carry your groceries in a smarter and more sustainable way.

Courtesy: Star Tribune

2. Recycle

I don’t know about you, but I grew up in a house that always recycled. Coming to college, it was a bit of a shock when I realized that most apartment complexes do not offer recycling services! While it is a bit inconvenient, recycling is NOT something to be lazy about. The Leon County website is an amazing resource for finding out just what you can recycle, how to properly prepare it for recycling and where to drop your items off.

Courtesy: Pinterest

3. Reduce your waste

Living in an apartment with four roommates, I am constantly frustrated at just how often we need to take out the trash. How can four people generate that much waste? I challenge you to look at just what you are throwing away and decide how you can reduce your consumption to better serve the environment and yourself. One cool way to do this is by buying items that serve the same purpose as extremely consumable goods. For example, you can buy beeswax coated muslin that serves the exact same purpose as plastic wrap, but you can wash it in the sink as well as reuse it!

Courtesy: Uncommon Goods

Her Campus at Florida State University.