3 FSU Sports to Get Excited About This Spring

Spring has sprung at FSU. After a, well, disappointing 2017 college football season, you may be looking for a new way to cheer on your Noles. Check out these sports to switch up your gameday this spring.

Basketball

(Instagram: @fsuhoops , @fsu_wbasketball)

While this season technically already started, NCAA March Madness is right around the corner and the hype is building up. FSU men’s team is having a solid season (17-7) but isn’t ranked in the Associated Press’ Top 25.

The Noles played #2 Virginia at home on Wednesday night in the Donald Tucker Civic Center. While the Noles held a strong lead during the first half (with an AMAZING slam dunk from center, Christ Koumadje), they lost their cool in the second half, missing penalty shots and losing their rhythm. The final score was 59-55 Virginia, leading the Cavaliers to a 23-1 season record. The FSU men’s team will travel to South Bend on Saturday to meet Notre Dame; the Noles’ next home game at the Civic Center against Clemson is Wednesday, Feb. 14 at 7 p.m. FSU is currently predicted to win.

Be sure to check out the Lady Noles too- with a 19-4 record, the women’s team is ranked #12 in the Associated Press’ Top 25.

Bonus: FSU hoops beat the University of Florida (yes, both the men’s and women’s teams) this year. If that doesn’t bring you a smidge of joy, do you even go to FSU?

If you’re not sold on scores alone, basketball games at the Civic Center often feature free swag giveaways from sponsors like Madison Social and Dunkin’ Donuts. Additionally, the FSU Golden Girls perform at halftime and FSU Cheer is always on the sidelines! You can find student tickets (free with your FSU ID) online at seminoles.com. Grab your friends and make it a girls’ night out.

Baseball

(Instagram: @nolebaseball)

Courtesy: seminoles.com

Baseball is as American as apple pie. Now that Tallahassee is finally warming up, the FSU Men’s baseball team is gearing up for another impressive season. Last year, the University of North Carolina fell to the Noles in the ACC Championship Game and FSU brought home their 7th ACC Conference title, led by longtime head coach Mike Martin. The Noles also made it to the College World Series in Omaha, Nebraska, losing to LSU (5-4). This season is expected to be just as successful as the last. Since 1978, the Noles have won 40 games every season and the team hopes to win an 8th ACC title and (our fingers are crossed) the College World Series for the first time.

At home, the Noles play at the Dick Howser Stadium, adjacent to the Doak Campbell Stadium. You can find tickets online (free, with FSUID) at seminoles.com. The season opener against Xavier is Friday, Feb. 16 at 4 p.m. at the Dick Howser Stadium.

Not sure what to wear? Keep it simple with jeans and a jersey (which you can also find at seminoles.com). If jerseys aren’t your thing, try a cute FSU baseball cap (try seminoles.com) instead to keep the sun out of your face and your eye on the game (or the players…).

Softball

(Instagram: @fsusoftball)

Courtesy: NCAA

FSU Softball is a powerhouse to watch this spring- the Noles will pursue their 6th ACC regular season champion title, plus a 5th ACC Tournament title. Led by head coach Lonni Alameda, the team will begin their season on Friday, Feb. 9 at Texas State. Their first home game at the Seminole Softball Complex will be on Wednesday, Feb. 14 at 6 p.m. If you’re looking for a great (free!) date night idea with a sports emphasis, cheer on your Seminoles at home with your boo. You can find tickets (free, with FSUID) at seminoles.com.

For more sports updates (and hype!) follow all of FSU’s sports teams on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook!

Hey! My name is Anne Marie, and I'm a second year Editing, Writing, and Media and International Affairs double major here at FSU. I'm from Tampa, Florida, and when I'm not in class, I can be found reading the news, eating breakfast, or hitting the grind at the gym.
Her Campus at Florida State University.