3 Female Artists You Need to Know

Your next #wcw may have some competition once you hear about the three new solo artists on the rise. Being a solo act can sometimes be a challenge but these three ladies seem to have a grasp on it; one has recently put out an album, one just released her EP and the final lady is in the process of starting over. Not only are they gorgeous and talented but they each deliver their own unique message.

First off we have Ashley Nicolette Frangipane, better known as Halsey. Her debut album, BADLANDS, released on August 28th but many people still don’t know of her existence and I’m here to shine a light on her! What can instantly be taken away about Halsey is that she’s not trying to hide a thing, even on her Tumblr bio she writes “I am Halsey. I will never be anything but honest. I write songs about sex and being sad.” She’s a breath a fresh air, delivering songs that can speak to our inner voice. While her honesty is admirable one can also admire her courage she has been quoted as identifying as “tri-bi” meaning biracial, bisexual and bipolar. As for the album, at first listen an electro-pop vibe is delivered and you can easily jam out but once you hear the echo of her voice and the lyrics you’re instantly taken over by emotions. It’s dark and harsh but beautiful at the same time. Check out her single “New Americana” along with others on her album BADLANDS. 

Courtesy: Nylon

Canada has given us Justin Bieber, Drake, and The Weeknd, now they have blessed us with Alessia Cara. If you haven’t heard of her yet now you have! With an EP released on August 28th and a growing fan base this newcomer is bound to be unstoppable. Her objective is to connect to as many people as possible through music. At only 19 she speaks to our inner voice and may even be able to express many thoughts we’ve had on a daily basis. Alessia grew up in an Italian household and ended up discovering music on her own. Her influences include Amy Winehouse and Lauyrn Hill, she says that she gravitates toward real singers. Nowadays we’re used to singers that hit high notes and deliver a pop sound but with Alessia Cara we get a new sound something organic and soulful. Her hit single “Here” speaks to the wallflower at a party, the one in the corner that wishes they would’ve stayed in for the night. You can listen to this along with four other songs on her EP Four Pink Walls. 

Courtesy: Rolling Stone

From signing with a record label, putting out an EP, and then being shunned by said label this girl has been through it all. Niykee Heaton started her rise to fame when she was 18, now just shy of 21 she has had to start over. She no longer belongs to her label due to “constant and continual bullying, lies, unfair compromises, underhanded politics, name-calling, blame games and much more.” Niykee didn’t want to be someone else’s puppet and decided it was time to handle her career the way she wanted. She has started a movement in which she calls NBK, Naturyl Born Killers, for anyone and everyone who does what they have to in order to reach their goals. With songs that range from hip hop to acoustic ballads, Niykee Heaton has a little bit of something for everyone. While in the eyes to some she may just seem like an Instagram model there is so much more to her than that. If her dedication isn’t enough to grab your attention then what about Kanye West being a fan! The two met when Niykee and her manager were recording in the studio one day and Kanye knocked on the door and said “I’ve been watching your guys’ journey for a long time. I’ve been following you both on Instagram. I love what you’re doing. Can I hear some of your stuff?” With the Kanye stamp of approval, I definitely think Niykee Heaton is one to keep an eye out for. You can find her anthem NBK and many other songs on her SoundCloud.

Courtesy: Instagram

Discovering music can be such a thrilling experience so go out and listen Collegiettes, and if there’s an artist you love let us know – we love new music!

I am currently a junior at Florida State University, studying Editing, Writing and Media. I have a passion for fashion and I love all things pop culture. After graduating I hope to pursue a career in journalism as for now I am simply trying to balance: school, work, having a social life and when I can sleep! I'm taking each day as it comes, and enjoying this journey that is life.
Her Campus at Florida State University.