From vibrant strands of bright green grass to endless fields of shining blue sky our world is the most beautiful thing to ever meet our eyes. Oceans bright and smooth, hugging shores of soft sand, flowers colored and courageous blooming underneath the nutrient sun. Our Earth is magnificent and as the most complex and intelligent species, it is our duty to protect it.

Protecting and caring for our planet can seem like a daunting task, but there are some key things you can change in your everyday life that can massively impact the overall health of our environment.

1. Use Less Plastic and Paper Products.

An easy way to help save the planet is to use less plastic and paper products, instead of asking for a plastic bag at checkout, bring in a cute reusable tote to put all your new purchases in like this horoscope bag from Etsy. Also, purchase a water filter instead of buying plastic water bottles for your apartment, and collect cans for recycling.

Courtesy:  Etsy (HeartAndWillowPrints)

2. Shop Local

Who you give your money to matters. Reduce emissions and unfair working conditions overseas by keeping your money in the community. Thrift stores and vintage stores are a great way to get quality clothing without the expensive designer price tag. Since the clothes were already made, it’s guilt free. Fast fashion is dangerous; many brand name stores have huge factories overseas where they pay ridiculously low wages with little to no benefits (such as healthcare) under strenuous conditions typically to disadvantaged people such as women, children and people of color. Avoid the guilty conscience and give your hard-earned cash to small businesses who use your money to send their children to school, not to buy another mansion in Aruba. Check out the online boutique called LLULO owned by a woman of color. Courtesy: LLulo

Courtesy: LLULO

3. Use Cruelty-Free Makeup.

A small change that can save lives is switching the brands you use for cosmetics. Many makeup brands and other manufacturers test on animals using experiments that often lead to mutilation and death. Be a part of a more peaceful approach to achieve the perfect fall look. Companies that test on animals include but are not limited to: L’Oreal, Estee Lauder, Clorox, Johnson & Johnson, MAC, Maybelline, OPI, Givenchy, CoverGirl, Benefit, and Almay, among others. Do your research and find out the ethical standards of the company before purchasing their products. You’ll be surprised to find how many of the products that you own that test on animals. Consider buying from brands like Glossier who pride themselves in natural cruelty-free makeup.

Courtesy: Glossier

Enjoy the beauty and grace that surrounds you every day; take a walk, go for a picnic or leisurely ride your bike. Take care of the planet that takes care of you and give back to the world. There is enough destruction in the world–don’t add to it at the checkout line.

Second year student at Florida State University, Creative Writing major, poetry and people is my passion.
Her Campus at Florida State University.