It’s that time of year again when millions of people turn their televisions on to watch one of the most anticipated awards of the season, the Golden Globe Awards. The Hollywood Foreign Press Association, a non-profit organization that sponsors the Globe awards, and its members vote on the winners.

Where to Watch 

woman watching tv eating popcorn
Photo by JESHOOTS.com from Pexels
This year’s Golden Globes will definitely be different from what we’ve all seen in the past. 

For one, the awards are being broadcasted a little later than usual. Typically, the nominations are sent out in December and the award ceremony takes place on the first Sunday in January at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California. But due to the pandemic, the Globes were pushed, along with the Grammys and the Oscars. Initially, the Oscars were set to be in February, but the Golden Globes took its spot, moving the Oscars to Apr. 25. 

This year the 78th Golden Globe Awards will premiere on Sunday, Feb. 28 at 8 p .m. and will be hosted by Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. This won’t be the first time the comedic duo has hosted the Golden Globe Awards together. In fact, this will be their fourth time as they hosted together in 2013, 2014 and 2015. This award ceremony has a bit of a twist. For the first time in history, the host will be bicoastal, with Poehler at the Beverly Hilton and Fey at the Rainbow Room in New York. The awards will be broadcasted live on NBC and you can also stream the awards on YouTube TV and Hulu Live. 

The Nominations

Felicity Warner / HCM
Now the time has finally come to find out the nominations for the 78th Golden Globes. 

The nominees were announced first thing early morning on Wednesday, Feb. 3. The virtual announcement was hosted by two previous Golden Globe winners, Sarah Jessica Parker and Taraji P. Henson. The nominations include a wide range of categories across television and film. To view the full list of nominations, visit the Golden Globes website. Let’s take a look at a few categories from the nominations list.

Best Television Series: Musical or Comedy

Emily in Paris

Schitt’s Creek

Ted Lasso

The Great

The Flight Attendant

Best Motion Picture: Drama

Promising Young Woman

The Trial of the Chicago 7

The Father

Mank

Nomadland

Best Actress in a Motion Picture: Drama

Viola Davis: Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Andra Day: The United States vs. Billie Holiday

Vanessa Kirby: Pieces of a Woman

Frances McDormand: Nomadland

Carey Mulligan: Promising Young Woman

Best Actor in a Motion Picture: Drama

Riz Ahmed: The Sound of Metal

Chadwick Boseman: Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Anthony Hopkins: The Father

Gary Oldman: Mank

Tahar Rahim: The Mauritanian

Best Director: Motion Picture

Emerald Fennell: Promising Young Woman

David Fincher: Mank

Regina King: One Night in Miami

Aaron Sorkin: The Trial of the Chicago 7

Chloè Zhao: Nomadland

History was made with the recent 2021 Golden Globe nominees. For the first time ever, more than one woman was nominated in the category for best director. Regina King, who was nominated for One Night in Miami, Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman and Chloè Zhao, Nomadland. Also, the film Mank is leading the Golden Globe Awards with six nominations, the most of any film this year. The film helped Netflix snag the most nominations, with a total of 42. 20 of those came from the television category with shows like The CrownThe Queen’s Gambit and Ozark. The remaining come from films such as Mank and The Trial of the Chicago 7.

Golden Globe Honorary Awards

Jane Fonda will be honored with the Cecil B DeMille Award, an honorary award given to those who have made “outstanding contributions to the world of entertainment.” She has been in Hollywood since the 1960s and has starred in numerous films and series including Grace and Frankie, Monster in Law and Walk on the Wild Side.

The legendary television producer Norman Lear will also be awarded with the Carol Burnett Award. This award is given to individuals who have made “outstanding contributions” in television and philanthropic work. Lear is known for creating groundbreaking comedy series such as Good TimesThe Jeffersons and All in the Family.

This year’s Golden Globe Ambassadors are Jackson and Satchel Lee, who are the daughter and son of producer, Spike Lee. It’s tradition for the Golden Globe Ambassadors to be children of Globe winners and industry members, as they help with awards and escort the winners off the stage. 

The pandemic has affected many lives and events. It is unclear if the awards will be held in person or virtually. But be sure to tune into the 78th Golden Globe Awards on Sunday, Feb. 28 at 8 p.m EST to see best-dressed celebrities, the winners and some great moments.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Keira is a sophomore pursuing an Editing, Writing & Media degree with a minor in Media Communications. She loves fashion, traveling, and going for runs.
Her Campus at Florida State University.