16 Lessons Learned While Living in a Dorm During Your First Year of College

If you started college and somehow skipped living in a dormitory your freshman year, you either consider yourself lucky or have missed out on some seriously formative experiences. Buckle up, this is Gee’s Declassified Dorm Survival Guide.

Courtesy: Giselle Parks

(I cleaned my room and was really proud of myself, so of course I had to send photographic evidence to my mother that I was capable of living like a civil human and not the heathen she seems to think I am when I leave dirty clothes on the floor…)

1.Make sure you know the person you’re going to live with.

Courtesy: Giselle Parks

Liking them will make your life exponentially easier and better. You don’t have to be BFFs, but you’ll be super lucky if you are, because that makes the experience that much better. Who knows? You might find a life-long best friend and even end up rushing the same sorority as the one they’re in.

2. Bring a bathrobe.

Courtesy: Tumblr

Seriously. You may only use it once or twice, but you will inevitably experience the dread of being mid-shower when the fire alarm goes off and need to evacuate your building; one leg mid-shaved and your hair dripping wet in 55-degree weather (not like I know this from experience or anything…).

3. Bring a stepstool.

Courtesy: Giphy

Unless you lower your bed for whatever reason, you’re going to attempt to vault the four-foot height into bed each night, and either develop killer calves, or want to give up and sleep on the floor. I know the old “just use the desk chair” routine is a thing, but unless you have supermodel long legs (like my roommate does) and can somehow miraculously get a knee up and haul yourself into bed, your short and stubby legs will rejoice every night as you use your little IKEA step stool to climb into bed.

4. Learn to love your suitemates.

Courtesy: Nathan Cooke

You don’t have to be the best of friends, but you at least want to be on speaking terms for when the toilet paper runs out, and you discover that you and your roommate are the only ones that have been restocking it all semester. Learn from our experience and don’t let #ToiletPaperGate happen to you (or just do what these kids did and stockpile 300+ rolls of free TP they give at the front desk; hoarding them like the Smaug of toilet paper for an entire semester…).

4. When it comes to packing, if you question whether or not you’ll need it…

Courtesy: Tumblr

…chances are you won’t.

5. Bring way too many photos, though.

Courtesy: Forever Twenty Somethings

You’re probably going to miss home, your family and friends really soon, so having a hundred photos of some of your favorite memories surrounding you will ease that ache of homesickness.

6. Bring enough underwear to last you more than a couple of weeks.

Courtesy: Tenor

You think you’ll be able to do laundry once a week, but when you finally have free time to do it… so does everyone else in the building, and the next thing you know, it’s 2 a.m. on a Tuesday, and you’re in the laundry room because nobody else is.

7. Be prepared to see some weird things in your hall.

Courtesy: Giselle Parks

Like, really weird things. Like “somebody’s undies left outside a guy’s room” weird.

8. Take your vitamins, and don’t take your mom’s wacky home remedies for granted.

Courtesy: Giphy

When the air circulates your entire floor and Billy Bob or Janet at the opposite end of the hall gets the flu, one sneeze from them will suddenly get you sick too. Trust me when I say I’ve never eaten more vitamin C tablets or gargled more salt water in my life than I did in the first semester alone. Like my grandma always says, a little Vicks vapo-rub can always make you feel better. Remember, sucking it up and taking a midnight trip to urgent care could mean the difference between the flu and mono. Having the latter will not be fun, and leave you questioning who gave it to you and how, because it’s not like you’ve been kissing anyone lately…

9. If your roommate is dating someone, don’t be afraid to set some ground rules.

Courtesy: PopSugar

You live with them, not their partner. On a similar note, make friends with their S.O.! If they’re serious, you’ll be seeing them a lot around your dorm, so it’s better to be on friendly terms than not-so-friendly; especially because they’re ultimately visiting your room, not the other way around.

10. Don’t stress about over-decorating your dorm.

Courtesy: Giphy

That joint Pinterest board you and your roommate made over the summer with décor ideas and cute crafty ways to organize your room? While some of it can be life-saving DIYs, chances are your room will only be clean enough to look like those photos about three times per year: When you first move in, during Parents’ Weekend when you want to reassure your mom and dad that you do indeed have your life together as a functioning and independent adult, and finally, when you clean up before going home for Christmas break so that you’ll return to a nice, clean dorm room.

11. Storage, storage, storage.

Courtesy: Funny or Die

Take advantage of Rubbermaid bins and drawer sets! Under your bed is arguably the best space-saving storage area, and you’ll quickly realize just how tiny your closet is.

12. Make friends with your RA.

Courtesy: The Odyssey Online

They exist to help you however they can, and they’re a student just like you are. They’ve done the whole freshman year thing and know exactly what it’s like to be a newly independent person living away from home. Most of the time, your RA will be someone you can go to for help with nearly anything.

13. Get comfy being in your undies – or even nothing at all – around your roomie.

Courtesy: FabFitFun

A naked body is something everybody has; chances are you don’t really have any body parts they haven’t already seen! It’s perfectly fine being uncomfortable about this, though, because everybody’s body is different and you don’t need to flaunt it if you don’t want to.

14. Realize quickly how little privacy you have sharing a 12×12 space with someone else.

Courtesy: Cambio

(Refer to previous point.)

15. Comfy bed sheets make a world of a difference.

Courtesy: Giphy

Buy a mattress topper, too, because the dorm mattresses are all vinyl and springs; you’re not going to get any sleep without one. I think I’ve actually gotten so used to my four-inch foam topper that I now sleep better in my dorm twin XL bed than I do in my full-size bed at home.

16. Remember that you’re not going to experience anything like this again, and value each and every little lesson you learn along the way.

Courtesy: GIFSoup

Whether it’s about cohabitation with a complete stranger, or just how to handle living life on your own 500 miles away from mom and dad. In the end, it’s worth it.

Giselle is an Editing, Writing, and Media major at Florida State University - which is a fancy way of saying she is studying to go into the publishing industry so she can read books for a living. A sister of Delta Zeta, Giselle also runs a book blog and can usually be found with a book in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other.
Her Campus at Florida State University.