14 Ways to “Treat” Yourself this Valentine’s Day

1. Chocolate Face Masks

What is the most significant aspect of Valentine’s Day? The chocolate, of course. Take advantage of the chocolate river flowing down just about every aisle in any retail store during the month of February and pick up dark chocolate.  Not only does it taste good, but it has benefits for your skin. Dark chocolate is an ingredient that can be used in numerous DIY face masks. 

Courtesy: Lula’s Chocolates

2. Sugar Lip Scrub

Did you bake cookies in preparation for a Galentine’s Day party, or were you planning to do so on the big day itself? If so, you can make a lip scrub with a few items you’ll have left over. Use coconut oil and raw sugar to make an exfoliant you can use on your lips. It’s gentle and safe to eat.

3. Give yourself a rose

Treat yourself right and add rose water to your routine this Valentine’s Day. Rose water can be used as a mask to rejuvenate frizzy and damaged hair or a treatment for dull or dry skin.

4. Strawberries

Strawberries can do more than just make up fruit baskets and be drizzled in chocolate. The berry has anti-aging aspects and is high in anti-oxidants. DIY facemask incorporating strawberries can help manage oily skin and smooth out the appearance of acne.

5. Manicure

Who needs a man when you can have a manicure? Valentine’s day is the perfect holiday to break out the vibrant nail polishes that have been tucked away for winter.  Try a bold pink or an accent nail with shimmering hearts.

6. Aroma(nce)therapy

Relax, you deserve it. This Valentine’s Day be sure to pick up lavender and rose essential oils to be the background of your plans, whether they are spending the day by yourself or with your girls. These flowery scents are meant to make you feel calm and remove stress.

7. Must have makeover

Now is the time to try something new because you want to. Go buy that item you’ve had your eyes on. Try a new color. Get your friends together and create new looks for one another.

8. “Don’t mind if I do”

Don’t shy away from the various foods this holiday has to offer. Indulge your sweet tooth or your interest in heart-shaped items. Whether you buy them from the store or you make them with friends is up to you.

Courtesy: Food Network

9. Conversation hearts and Self Love Letters

Don’t let your relationship status get you down this Valentine’s Day. To some, witnessing other people receive things for the holiday from their significant others or admirers can be a lonely time that dredges up feelings of inadequacy. Instead, write a self-love letter reflecting on all your accomplishments and goals. Share this idea with your friends and exchange letters you’ve written for each other.

10. Lolli-“Pop”

There is something therapeutic about singing along with the voices of popular artists as they share their experiences with love. Don’t wallow alone listening to break up songs. Instead get with your friends and listen to the new and old “mood-setting” songs to have some laughs.

11. Puppy-love

It might seem ridiculous, but puppies are actually magic. Colleges have programs during exam week where students are able to play with dogs as it is proven to reduce stress. Valentine’s day can be a stressful time for some people and can heighten negative emotions. Go to a shelter or a dog park and spread the love.

12. If you like it, then put a ring on it. . . a candy one that is. 

Jewelry is commonly exchanged on Valentine’s Day, but you don’t have to be in a relationship to receive it. Make a promise to yourself that is recognized through a rock you buy on your own. Rock Candy jewelry is a cheaper and quirky twist on the holiday trope that will look great and amuse the friends you celebrate with.

Courtesy: Etsy

13. Multiple movies

There’s nothing better than watching a new TV series or binge-watching your favorite one for the third time. This Valentine’s day watch your movies and shows of choice in style by renting a projector. Local libraries often have the equipment compatible with computers. Hook it up and project it on the wall for a unique experience you and your Galentines won’t forget.

14. Galentines

The most important thing to do on Valentine’s Day is to surround yourself with people who genuinely care about you and you care about in return. Use these ideas to create a fun day to express love for yourself and others.

Her Campus at Florida State University.