Wellness > Sex + Relationships

14 Things Worse Than Being Single on Valentine’s Day: FSU Edition

Valentine’s Day is coming up rather quickly and for a lot of people, they are dreading the mere thought of heart-shaped candies and pink-themed everything. We get so caught up in the pressures surrounding the holiday, we often forget what it’s really all about: the people you love and celebrating the love you have for them. You don’t have to be in a relationship to do this, as I am sure there are plenty of sources of love in your life. Your family, your friends, your dog and the list goes on. People tend to put that love aside and focus on how they are not in a relationship. And while this can seem like the most awful and lonely thing in the world, specifically on this holiday, I am here to remind you that there are worse things than being single. In fact, there are 14 things that come to mind, representing one reason for each day leading up from the beginning of this month to Valentine’s Day. Single or in a relationship, it doesn’t matter because this year we are making this holiday a good one.

1. You could go to UF… or literally any school for that matter. But, especially, UF.

Courtesy: Giphy

I mean I could stop the list right here and this should be enough to get you through Valentine’s Day alone, but for my fellow Noles, I shall go on. But if you Nole, you Nole.

2. We could live in a world without Ms. Killings.

Courtesy: @FSUAdmissions Twitter

Getting a “Thanks, I love ya” from Mrs. Killings gives us enough love to get us through any tough time. Sometimes I would go to Suwannee even though I wasn’t hungry just because I was having a rough day and needed some love. With Mrs. Killings around it is impossible to feel alone. And if there’s any millionth of a chance that you do, at least you’re at Suwannee and get to eat your feelings via hot pizza bar.

3. Dirac not being open 24 hours of the day.

Courtesy: Giphy

Let me just say that I haven’t been to Dirac since Sophomore year for this reason. Stroz all the way baby. I apologize to any STEM majors who spend their college career in Dirac, but we all know that sometimes 2 a.m. just doesn’t cut it for studying.

4. Starbucks in Stroz doesn’t open until 7:30 a.m. making all-nighters rather difficult.

Courtesy: Giphy

The amount of caffeine withdrawal I have at 4 a.m. is ridiculous and Starbucks is nowhere to be seen. You bet your grande nonfat latte that I’ll be the first in line at 7:30. I am just happy that it’s open 24 hours during finals week.

5. The Chipotle line literally any time of the day.

Courtesy: Giphy

We’ve all seen that line and we’ve all been through it. The things we will do for a side of guac and a burrito bowl. No shame, good things come to those who wait, right?

6. Chick-fil-a being closed on Sunday.

Courtesy: Giphy

I know this isn’t FSU-specific, but I think we can all agree that this is perhaps the worst. We all know that Chick-fil-la is the real heartbreaker in this town.

7. FSU Parking

Courtesy: Giphy

Considering homicide is not too far of a concept when you attempt parking on the FSU campus. Parking at FSU changes you as a person, and it is as simple as that. Car brakes are now but a concept, and I keep my hand on the blinker at all times. You never know who you’ll have to stalk to get their parking space.

8. Working out at the Leach and seeing everyone you know.

Courtesy: Giphy

Nothing is worse than having to encounter your acquaintances when you are soaked in sweat with mascara running down your face. I swear I don’t sweat, it’s just uh, humid in Florida? Yeah, that’s it. Humid … See you in class tomorrow, Karen. And for anyone who finds love covered in sweat, you have accomplished something incredible and you must keep that love. You found love in a hopeless place.

9. Grocery Shopping at Publix

Courtesy: Giphy

This goes hand in hand with FSU parking. I haven’t gone grocery shopping in a month because I am scared of the events that go on inside the Ocala Publix. Also, probably because I am broke, but that’s beside the point. Going to Publix is a mission and getting in and out safely with groceries is something to be proud of.

10. McDonald’s on West Tennessee

Courtesy: Giphy

I mean I swear they don’t even own a McFlurry machine based on the number of times it is broken. And don’t get me started on that drive-thru line. If you want to spend your Valentine’s Day waiting in line 45 minutes for a medium and lukewarm fry, this place is for you.

11. Getting up early on the weekends to go study at any coffee shop yet somehow all of the coffee shops are packed at 10 a.m. on a Sunday.

Courtesy: Know Your Grinder

I mean, come on. You are telling me we all have college studies and all drink coffee. Well, I guess when you look at it like that, it makes sense. But still, do you really need to take up a 4-person table for one person? The nerve.

12. Coaching at Texas A&M

Courtesy: Giphy

I think this one speaks for itself.

13. Traffic after 5 p.m. 

Courtesy: Giphy

You’re telling me it takes 20 minutes to get from Campus to Publix? And we are all going to travel 35 miles per hour? I am just trying to get home so I can take my 5 p.m. nap that I have been looking forward to all day, thank you very much.

14. Finals Week

Courtesy: Giphy

Nothing is worse than finals week.

Keep that head up and just know that being single isn’t the worst thing. Grab some of your pals and go out to dinner and share the love! Make sure to call all of your loved ones and let them know how much they mean to you, that’s what this holiday is all about.

Just one eccentric gal trying to use words to tell my story and yours!
Her Campus at Florida State University.