Photo of the gate to enter the FSU Flying High Circus center, with the tent in the background.
Original photo by Alyssa Migenes
Life > Experiences

FSU’s Flying High Circus: Spooky Edition

FSU’s Flying High Circus is an immersive experience and a great way to bring the school, families, and community together. I have been to a few shows, and they never fail to impress me. From acrobatics to acting, dancing, and more, Florida State University’s Flying High Circus has it all. A unique tradition since 1947, tickets are free for FSU students, and it is one of only two collegiate circuses in the U.S. Over 100 FSU students devote their time to the circus by teaching and creating over 20 acts throughout the school year. The circus’ success is definitely attributed to the hard work and dedication of its students and staff.

Amidst preparing for Talloween, one of my plans was the FSU Circus! They have been preparing for their first show this fall and revealed four dates for their Halloween show six weeks ago. The performances include comedy, dancing, balancing acts, trapeze, and Halloween makeup that are sure to give you chills. There are also refreshments like candy, popcorn, and other snacks you might find at any circus. 

The hard work that these individuals put into their performances really shows. I was not expecting the size of this production to be so extensive and to see all the talent I had; it was great to witness! 

One of the most exciting elements of the Halloween shows is the creativity that goes into crafting each performance. The circus performers share their unique talents, whether they be dangerous, funny, breathtaking, or even a little bit anxiety-inducing (like with all of the aerial and balancing acts). This unique blend of skill and different personalities/characters makes the show a blast to watch. The FSU Circus has makeup artists that help performers get ready and costumes that match their characters. Every act is different, but they are all part of the bigger story, which kept me on the edge of my seat, waiting to see what was next. The circus performers put their heart and soul into creating a memorable Halloween experience by putting their all into their act. 

The circus forces its students to move outside of their comfort zone. It truly displays what you’re capable of when pushed to do things you might’ve never tried. Performers sometimes must learn certain tricks in very short periods of time. Some of these tricks are risky, but they show the dedication that students are willing to put in. 

When speaking to people who are part of the FSU circus, they tell me that they have found a sense of community and home within it. The teams spend so much time together and must trust each other to do their show, so it makes sense that they become so close. 

The high-wire acts and aerial acrobatics are great for anyone who enjoys a small amount of suspense with their Halloween celebrations. Of course, a true Halloween production is only complete with a dash of comedy. The circus is famous for its interludes and the Halloween show was no different, although it might have been a little spookier. Clowns and jesters come to the stage, entertaining the audience with silly pranks and jokes. This show was eerie and mesmerizing, a balance that makes it an excellent watch for all ages.

The Circus’ Halloween shows, as always, welcome students of all backgrounds and levels of experience to participate and try out! This commitment to inclusivity creates a welcoming environment for all who are interested in being involved. There are even ways to help without performing, whether you are a coach, help with lights, or sell refreshments and tickets before shows.

The Halloween performances are more than just a fun show to watch; they showcase hard work and dedication from a group of people who really love what they do. The team provides an opportunity for students to take a break from their academics and experience the magic of the FSU Flying High Circus for free!

If you missed the Halloween Shows, make sure to look out for more Florida State University Flying High Circus performances. Going to a show is a great way to get involved on campus while supporting fellow students. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Krista Escalona is a staff writer at Her Campus at the FSU chapter. She writes about a diverse array of topics including campus events, personal stories, interviews, and more. In addition to writing, Krista is involved in the social team at Her Campus, where she works on graphics for the social media accounts. Aside from Her Campus, Krista works on the videography team at Strike Magazine Tallahassee where she works with a team to shoot and edit campaigns for the student ran magazine, including editorial shoots and fashion. She has been recognized nationally for her media production skills. Krista is a sophomore at Florida State University and is majoring in International Affairs, on the pre-law track. In her free time, Krista enjoys practicing yoga, reading classics, and listening to all kinds of music. She can talk about movies for hours and will never deny trying new kinds of food or getting ice cream.