Life > Academics

Transfer Students Are FSU’s Best-Kept Secret

You’ve probably seen them on campus. It’s possible you’ve even had a conversation. Maybe you are one. Regardless, it’s time that transfer students get the recognition they deserve. 

Each year, Florida State University enrolls approximately 3000 transfer students. And yet for many people, the question of transferring and what that experience entails only draws confused expressions.

The majority of FSU undergraduates are at the same school for four years. For transfer students, that is not the case. While each transfer takes a different path to FSU, a common concern is how to find a place for themselves at a school they’ve only just arrived at. 

“They have two years to finish their degree and are starting FSU in their major courses for their degree. The pressure to find internships or jobs starts very soon after making their landing at FSU,” said Brandon Saridjo, Transfer Student Success Coordinator at FSU. So, while other students have the luxury of time, it can sometimes seem like a clock is ticking for transfer students who hope to receive both academic and social advantages at FSU.

The key seems to be finding a balance between the two. “You don’t have to take everything too fast,” advised Jadon Grant, a native to the area and transfer from Tallahassee Community College. “You can figure everything out.” 

While the promise of academic success is alluring, the school’s reputation as a social hub is also a driving force in student’s decisions to transfer. “It’s a big place. It’s got a lot to offer,” said Jacob Taylor, who transferred last year from Florida Atlantic University. While many students are excited about new opportunities to connect with others, it can also be overwhelming. “One of the biggest concerns for our students is making connections with their peers,” said Saridjo. 

Kendall Manning, a senior at FSU who also transferred last year from FAU, acknowledges the anxiety of transitioning to a large public institution. “You feel like everyone already knows everything already,” said Manning.

With large classes and an active social culture on campus, being the new kid on the block is never easy. Most FSU students already have two years under their belt, and it can feel like an uphill battle at times to make friends. Yet recognizing that the struggle to make friends is universal has been helpful. “Even though it doesn’t seem like it, everyone is in the same boat,” said Manning. “Regardless of where you came from or who you are, we’re all here to further a career, or get somewhere in life, and we all have a similar drive in that matter.”

For many transfer students, the comfort has been in having a built-in community that understands the struggle to connect. The Transfer Student Union is a network that provides students with that support system. Through the creation of the Transfer Community Mentors network, students have the opportunity to be placed with a mentor who is also a transfer. Compatibility questionnaires help students be paired with the right transfer mentor, who can offer advice and companionship when they’re feeling a little lost.

Checking your inbox is the key to getting involved. Manning received an email inviting her to apply for the program after she had already completed one year at FSU. “I thought it would be a great way to meet people,” she said. “My transfer experience was just me doing what I needed to do. I really would have benefitted from having a mentor, so I definitely wanted to be that for someone else.”

Many students also find a sense of community through events hosted by FSU’s Transfer Student Services Program. These can be found via Instagram and website updates. There, they can meet people who already want to talk to others. “We find that through our events, our students can start making connections with other transfer students and realize that they are more than capable of making friends with their peers,” said Saridjo.

Incoming transfer students also have the opportunity to take academic courses specifically designed for them. IDS 3002: Transfer Connections and Success is offered as a resource to current undergraduate transfer students to help them learn the ins and outs of FSU. Coaching is also a big part of the course. Students meet biweekly with transfer coaches whose job is to support them in their transition to FSU. “They work with students on setting goals, connecting with resources, and planting roots at FSU,” said Saridjo.

With an abundance of resources available, FSU has something to offer for transfer students of all backgrounds. However, students must be proactive in taking advantage of these unique opportunities afforded to them. “Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. Learn as much as you can from other people,” said Manning.

One of the ways students can go outside their comfort zone is by joining a club. Multiple transfers have found further opportunities to make friends by taking this initiative. “I joined FSU’s chess club,” said Taylor. “Find your little niches.”

Regardless of your journey, there is a place for everyone at Florida State. Students, both incoming and present, are willing and able to be there for each other. “We’re all FSU students, so we can help each other out,” said Grant. “That’s how we grow.”

For more information on FSU’s transfer program, those interested can find contact information here.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Havilah Sciabbarrasi is a senior at Florida State University and working toward a degree in Editing, Writing, and Media (AKA English). She is the current editor-in-chief of The Kudzu Review, an undergraduate literary magazine that takes submissions in fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and visual art from students all over the country. When she's not busy writing her hot takes on all things campus, entertainment, and books, she can usually be found romanticizing New York, ranting on Goodreads, or rooting through the bins at her local Goodwill.