Is “13 Reasons Why” A Better Show or Book?

Netflix and Chill is a biweekly column reviewing popular (and unpopular Netflix shows) so you know if they’re worth putting in your watch list. I am a strong supporter of binge watching…

Unless you have been living under a rock recently, you know about the newest Netflix series 13 Reasons Why. The show follows Clay Jensen as he listens to tapes left behind by his friend Hannah Baker, who committed suicide. The tapes contain the thirteen reasons why Hannah killed herself or rather what thirteen people who did terrible things to her that lead to her death. You may know this show as the one Selena Gomez was part of but its also based off of the novel with the same title written by Jay Asher. The show is more complex than the book but both have their strengths and their weaknesses.

Courtesy: Netflix

One of the main differences between the show and the book is the period of time in which the story takes place. The book has Clay listening to the tapes all at once. The show has him listening to one tape a day which translates to one tape per episode. This discrepancy makes sense, because the show has so much more time to flesh out the story and make it more complex. The movie goes deeper into the lawsuit Hannah’s parents file against her school (They believe Hannah’s suicide could have been prevented if the school had stopped people from bullying Hannah) and into how the other people on the tape react to what Hannah says about them. Needless to say, they aren’t happy. Another difference is Hannah leaves behind a map which she references throughout the tapes. Clay uses it much more in the book than the show. The characters are also much more fleshed out than in the book.

The show is well written. The characters are engaging and the plot keeps you on the edge of your seat. There is still an underlying problem in the show. It does a good job explaining the emotional effect of suicide on Hannah’s parents and her friends. The problem is the show somewhat glorifies suicide. The message is clear: Kill yourself and tell everyone why and they will finally feel bad for what they have done. That’s a little messed up, isn’t it? Also, that boy you liked will finally like you back (but you’ll be dead so it doesn’t matter).

Courtesy: Netflix

The book has the same problem. Both have good intentions but end up glorifying the subject they are supposed to pushing away from. Then again, that’s just the way I see it. The show is good but it’s very manic pixie dream girl (who commits suicide). The show can also be triggering for people who has ever had thoughts of suicide, known someone who has committed suicide and to anyone who has witnessed or executed self-harm. This show is emotionally grueling and probably not the best to binge in one day. Try to be like Clay and pace yourself with each chapter. This show is not for everyone and should probably have a suicide prevention PSA before it. Objectively speaking, 13 Reasons Why is a well written small town drama that will engage you from start to finish.

Advertising major from Jacksonville, Florida who never grew out of her Jonas Brothers phase
Her Campus at Florida State University.