12 Tips for Making the Most out of Your Internship, as Told by “the Devil Wears Prada”

An internship is more than just a paycheck or ten week long commitment. It’s a shot at firsthand exposure into the professional world and a chance at having a competitive edge in the job market. It’s an opportunity for growth, to build a network and to hone your skills. What better way to take your career for a test drive than this? Here are the essentials I’ve gathered from my experiences for starting off on the right foot and achieving the utmost success as an intern:

1. Do your homework before the first day

It’s highly impressive when an intern understands the values and “corporate culture” of a company before walking through those doors. You most likely did research prior to the interview but it’s beneficial to refresh your memory the night before. You’ll feel more confident and appear more knowledgeable than one who goes in unaware.

2. Be punctual

Stuck in traffic? Set your alarm for PM instead of AM? Long line at Starbucks? It happens to the best of us. While punctuality is important in the workplace, it is also imperative in any other situation. If you’re running late, don’t panic. Just be sure not to make a habit out of it.

3. Answer phones with confidence.

You don’t need to know the answer to every question but you do need to know and understand proper phone etiquette. Similar to a hostess position, you may be the first employee a client or customer encounters. I know it can be tricky and you may feel on the spot but be sure to jot down as much information as you can from the caller in an effort to save time for your employer later on.

4. Make a meaningful first impression

As Maya Angelou once said, “People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel.” Making an impression should be your first and foremost priority. It takes a quick glance and a matter of seconds for someone to take inventory and form an opinion. Impressions tend to be fixed and can’t necessarily be undone so make sure your first encounter is not just good, but great. Be yourself, be positive and be confident, as each first encounter will set the tone for the relationships that follow.

5. Accept the grunt work

So your day may involve fetching a cup of coffee or two. Hey, it’s a chance for you to have your daily dose of caffeine too, right? You can dwell about it, have regrets and quit – or you can turn this opportunity into a chance for success and make it the best coffee run you ever had.

6. Dress for success

This ties back into making a memorable first impression. It takes a matter of seconds for someone to evaluate your appearance and form an opinion. Dress comfortably but not too comfortably. Most importantly, avoid wearing clothing that will have you fidgeting in your seat every hour on the hour. When you don’t necessarily know what the office’s dress code is or what the environment may be like, I suggest playing it safe with a dress of an appropriate length or a blouse and dress pants. It can never hurt to reach out and ask, however, as this will take the ease off of you and make the interview less nerve-wracking. Avoid flashy jewelry, heavy fragrances and an incomplete manicure.

7. Ask questions

Take the initiative to ask as many questions as needed to execute a task efficiently and effectively. You’ll save an enormous amount of time clarifying information, rather than trying to decode it yourself and potentially making a mistake. This truly shows the interest you have for the position and how much you are willing to learn. An internship is a learning process overall so it’s okay to continually seek clarification.

8. Neglect excuses

If you’ve made a mistake, acknowledge it and seek out ways of fixing it. Don’t come up with reasons as to why this happened if they don’t involve you implying that it was anyone’s fault but your own. You are the only responsible person for yourself so if you arrived late or you couldn’t finish an assignment on time, you can certainly own up to it.

9. Network

This is a vital tool for job-hunting and to utilize in every given situation. Take the time to build quality, professional relationships not just with those already employed, but with your fellow interns as well. I suggest scheduling regular one-on-one meetings with your supervisor and those in departments you may be interested in. Add your peers and employers on LinkedIn too as it is a valuable way to build a network for yourself within the company’s own network. This is also a great way to maintain your connections and stay involved with the company.

10. Stay positive

So you may not be doing what you thought you would, or maybe not right away. Don’t let this shape your experiences as an intern. They chose YOU for a reason and YOU are still a valuable asset to the company. Just like all things vast, you work your way up and slowly but surely, you’ll get to where you want to be even if it takes a little longer than you expected. Be willing to take on any tasks asked of you, no matter how big or small.

11. Celebrate your achievements

Don’t be afraid to bask in your success and celebrate YOU. Be proud of where you have gotten and the work that you have completed. I recommend keeping track of your achievements in a journal for both future use and personal reflection. It will serve as a reminder of how great you are and the incredible contributions that you have made.

12. Ask for feedback

Touch base with your employers concerning your performance throughout your internship and not just toward the end for the formal review. This is a great way to take initiative and show the employer you truly care about your position and are willing to work on any improvements that need to be made. Do not argue or feel that you need to defend yourself, as you are there to learn. What can be better than learning from someone currently in the position you are seeking?

Whether it’s your most favorite, or least favorite internship, make the most of your time there. It may be the most hands-on, practical experience you’ll have before beginning a full-time job. Utilize the tools and resources you have, be receptive to feedback and most of all, treat your internship as though it is already a permanent job. Best of luck!

Jordana is a recent graduate of The Florida State University with a Bachelor of Science in public relations. She aspires to work in public relations and digital media in New York City. She is well-versed in pop culture, social media management, press release writing and content creation. Originally from Coral Springs, Florida, Jordana enjoys writing, networking and spending time outdoors. On most days, you can find her researching industry trends, Tweeting and scavenging the internet for new music, ODESZA and Beyonce tunes to be specific. Stay in tune with her daily whereabouts via Twitter: @JordanaJudson.   
Her Campus at Florida State University.