Wellness > Sex + Relationships

12 At-Home Date Ideas That are Better than Netflix and Chill

On the hunt for an at-home date night? I’ve got you covered with a few date ideas that are way better than yet another Netflix marathon. Any relationship expert will tell you that one of the key ways of keeping the spark alive in a long-term relationship is romantic nights to yourselves, even after you’re married for 30 years. They’ll tell you to set aside a regular date night to reconnect and revive. My girlfriend and I love having special nights to ourselves but being broke college students means we don’t always have the time, money or energy to go out to Harry’s Bar and Grille or even go out to the movies. Whatever the circumstances, here are a few budget-friendly, cute stay-at-home date ideas for the next time you want a night of romance but can’t or just don’t want to go out. 

1. Have a Movie Night at Home

Image Courtesy: Flerika

I know I said these date ideas were going to be better than Netflix, and trust me they will be, but let’s just spice this movie night up a little. Spend time together to make your own theater-style popcorn, hot chocolate and plenty of snacks. Go rent a projector from Strozier – or buy your own – hang up a sheet and broadcast that movie from your computer onto the big screen. You can even take this movie outside and pretend you’re at your own drive-in movie. Just make sure you charge your computer first.  

2. Have A Picnic in Your Backyard

Image Courtesy: Brittany Gaiser

Set out a blanket in your backyard, light a few candles or bring a lantern and have dinner under the stars. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy – make dinner together or even order take-out. If you’re age appropriate, throw in a bottle of rosé – or whatever drink you prefer, even if it’s cheap Barefoot wine. Is it raining or too cold outside? No problem. Just turn out the lights and move this date into your living room. 

3. Paint With/On Each Other

Image Courtesy: Pinterest

Show your creative side by bringing out the canvases and having a little painting date together. If you feel like you have no artistic talent, don’t be afraid to throw on a little tutorial in the background. Bob Ross has never failed anyone. If this isn’t intimate enough for you, something really fun to do is to actually paint on each other. Painting on your significant other’s back can be silly and intimate at the same time. Turn each other into walking masterpieces – well, more than you already are. 

4. DIY Photoshoot

Image Courtesy: Blogging Pro

Having pictures of each other is always important, and the more the merrier. Pictures are timeless mementos that you can look back on and smile fondly years down the line. So, take out your tripod, hang up whatever decorations you have and take pictures in every room of your house. They can be as romantic or as silly as you want. Just make sure you remember to hang them up on the wall to look back on down the line. 

5. Dance the Night Away

Image Courtesy: Fuzzable

We’ve all seen those cheesy movies with the couples that dance around the kitchen in their pajamas, smiling and laughing as slow jazz plays in the background. Who’s to say you can’t be one of those couples? Throw on your pajamas, throw on your “song” and dance the night away. If you’re feeling especially cheesy, you can even make a romantic playlist and pretend you’re back at your high school prom. 

6. Start a Journal Together

Image Courtesy: Etsy

My girlfriend and I have one of those adorably cheesy guided journals for couples – you know, the ones that are like, “At least two things that have improved in my life since we met …” or “If our relationship were a novel, the title could be …” It’s a super easy and fun way to write down the little things you love about each other and your memories together. If you’re especially creative, you can start your own journal instead of using a guided one!

7. Make Dinner Together

Image Courtesy: Pinterest

Making dinner on a weeknight can feel rushed and stressful. However, making dinner together when you’ve intentionally set aside time to do so can be incredibly fun and a great way to connect. Give yourself a challenge and try making something you never have before or bring out your inner Master Chef and make it into a competition of who can make the better dish.

8. Read a Favorite Book Aloud To Each Other

Image Courtesy: Freepik

There’s something undeniably soothing about having somebody read aloud to you, especially if you’re anything like me and you love the sound of your partner’s voice. Pick a favorite book each or decide on a mutual favorite and take turns reading aloud to each other. This was incredibly popular back in the Nineteenth Century so why not try bringing it back?

9. At-Home Spa Night

Image Courtesy: Well + Good

An at-home spa night can be incredibly romantic and relaxing, without the hurtful price tag. Throw on some slippers and a comfortable robe and get ready to relax. Make some homemade face masks – or some premade store-bought ones – and draw a nice bath for two. Drop in a bath bomb, maybe some bubbles, and don’t forget the body scrub.

10. Create a Bucket-List

Image Courtesy: Etsy

Take this time to work together and create the ultimate couples’ bucket list. This can include all the dates you want to try, all the places you want to visit, the experiences you want to have together, etc. You can even take it one step further and schedule to do a few of the items on your list! You’d be surprised the kinds of conversations this can bring about and the kinds of things you can learn about your partner. 

11. Fight It Out

Image Courtesy: Pinterest

When was the last time getting into a fight was a good thing? Well, I’m not talking about actual fights – I’m talking about water gun fights, pillow fights, food fights, etc. This is not only a fun and feisty date idea, but dates like this can also boost your adrenaline and dopamine levels, which mimics the feeling of falling in love

12. Make a Date Night Jar Together

Image Courtesy: Somewhat Simple

Plan on continuing to go on regular dates together by making a date night jar. You can put any kind of date in there, from at-home dates to fancy, expensive ones – anything your heart desires that you would enjoy with your partner. My girlfriend made us one for our anniversary, and it is full of fun things we enjoy doing together. It’s so easy to get caught up in everyday life, especially when you’ve been in a relationship for a few years, but this is a great way to remind yourself to make time to go on dates and make special time for each other!

I am a Creative Writing major studying at Florida State University. I have loved writing all kinds of genres since I was ten years old, and that passion has only grown over the last eleven years. Aside from writing, my passions also include drawing, painting, and cuddling my cat, Mason.