The Frother\'s Daughter Trailer
The Frother\'s Daughter Trailer
Photo by Hanna Eugenio
Career

Five Woman Owned Restaurants in Tallahassee You Need to Visit

March is Women’s History Month, and what better way to celebrate powerful women than by supporting them right here in Tallahassee! After looking into the restaurants in town, I was pleasantly surprised to see how many of my favorite spots were women-owned!

1. RedEye Coffee

RedEye Coffee is a woman and Hispanic-owned local coffee company dedicated to creating an amiable community. RedEye is run by owner and managing partner, Barby Moro with three locations across Tallahassee in Midtown, Capital Circle and Capital Regional Medical Center. Every time I‘ve gone to one of their locations, I am always greeted by the kindest baristas who genuinely care about the coffee company they work for. RedEye has become one of my favorite places to study due to the comforting environment as well as the delicious coffee. 

2. The Good Berry

The Good Berry is a smoothie and juice bar with two locations on Thomasville Road. The shops are co-owned by Ariel Sonnino and Joan-Manuel Pouparina. The Good Berry is known for their smoothies, superfood bases, and most notably their açaí bowls. The shop arguably has the best açaí in Tallahassee and is one of my all-around favorites. The Good Berry is upping the açaí bowl game with tons of different bases ranging from the classic açaí flavor and Blue Majik to their newest addition, the Cacao base. With their wide variety of toppings and drizzles offered as well, the Good Berry knows what it takes to make the best açaí bowls.

3. Street Chefs 

Street Chefs is a food truck that operates all across Tallahassee. Street Chefs is owned by Rebecca Kelly-Manders and serves affordable comfort food made with the best fresh ingredients. The food truck’s unique dishes like the “Not Your Daddy’s Cheeseburger” and “Shepard’s Pie Wrap” offer a twist to the typical nostalgic comfort dish. Rebecca Kelly-Manders is also the founder of REfire, a culinary training program dedicated to aiding people with felony convictions. A felony conviction on one’s record makes it incredibly difficult to secure a job, therefore REfire is committed to giving these individuals a second chance at a normal life after conviction by providing them with culinary training, job experience, and job placement support.

4. The Frother’s Daughter

The Frother’s Daughter, also known as FSU’s favorite coffee company, is a mobile coffee truck. The company is owned by Rosalyn Wilsey and the food truck is perfect for an FSU student as it’s always spotted somewhere on or around campus. The coffee company is always coming up with new, funky drinks that I would’ve never thought to try before. My absolute favorite part about The Frother’s Daughter has to be their specialty drinks because I’m a sucker for anything that’s limited edition. 

5. Food Glorious Food

Last but most certainly not least, is Food Glorious Food. Food Glorious Food is a seasonal American restaurant founded by Susan Turner. Turner opened the restaurant back in 1982 and currently holds the longest-owning woman-owned business in the city. Food Glorius Food has won the Golden Spoon Award for four years in a row thanks to its outstanding fine dining experience. The restaurant has also been mentioned in countless magazines and articles for its delicious cuisine.

While these restaurants are must-dos for Women’s History Month, you should check them out every month!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Hey! I'm Isly and I am a freshman majoring in English (Editing, Writing, & Media) at Florida State University. Some of my interests include searching for new music, analyzing films, planning out my outfits, or fantasizing about my dream life.