Life > Academics

5 FSU Resources to Utilize During Finals Week

Finals week is approaching, and we all know finals can become very mentally draining and tiring. The stress can be a lot to handle, especially if you have several finals that you’re trying to study for at the same time. FSU offers five great resources that can help you minimize stress and increase motivation that you can make use of before, during or after finals week.

Ace Tutoring

ACE Tutoring, located on the ground floor of the William Johnston Building, is a great resource to use this week. In ACE, you can get group tutoring, course-based tutoring, study skills tutoring and virtual math tutoring. You can also get individual tutoring through Proactive Referral and Engagement (PRE). You have to be referred by instructors for PRE, so you may need to talk to your instructor if you think you need individual tutoring. There are several study rooms available on the ground floor of WJB as well, like group study rooms with interactive or regular whiteboards. You can book study rooms here, and schedule tutoring in ACE here. ACE regularly posts their tutoring schedule or general updates/workshops on their Instagram account as well.

Reading and Writing Center

The Reading and Writing Center (RWC) offers appointments to help with reading, writing and digital support. No matter your major or previous knowledge, the RWC can help you in several ways. They can specifically be helpful if you’re working on a scholarly essay, an annotated bibliography or other assignments, like research presentations. RWC is open for appointments both online and in person in William Johnston Building, Williams Building or Strozier library. So, if you have a final essay due and want feedback or improvement, definitely check RWC out. You can make an appointment here.

Campus Recreation

Campus Recreation is a great resource to utilize to feel more motivated and decrease stress since finals week can be mentally draining. Campus Recreation offers the Leach, a popular workout space where there is a sports court and an indoor park, a pool, a spa and several machines like treadmills, ellipticals, bikes and more. Campus Recreation also offers FMC, the Fitness & Movement Clinic, where strength and cardio training and group training classes are offered. Another campus recreation resource is the Rez, FSU’s lakefront park & outdoor center located on Lake Bradford, where you can have a picnic, swim, play sand volleyball, go kayaking and more. Utilizing any of these resources can be great for reducing some stress during finals week. I personally feel more motivated to study after a good workout session at The Leach.

University Counseling center

I know finals week and the stress it brings can take a toll on a lot of people’s mental states, increasing anxiety or decreasing overall mental health. University Counseling Center, located in Askew Student Life Center, offers free therapy and counseling services. If you ever need to talk to a professional regarding mental health, especially during a stressful time like finals week, University Counseling Center is a great resource to use. You can use the in-person services or online/phone services, whichever you prefer. Any information you share will stay confidential. They also offer workshops via Zoom that focus on anxiety and depression.

Case Management

The last FSU resource to utilize is Case Management, which provides counseling, emotional support, advising and identifies immediate needs. Case Management also can contact professors to give extensions or support for assignments or exams, so it can be a great resource to use for dealing with stress either caused by personal issues or from schoolwork/finals. They also have suggestions for self-care on their website linked here, which can be good to de-stress and take a breather during the hectic finals season. You can directly call them or do walk-ins from Monday through Friday. 

That’s all I have for you. I hope you guys stay healthy and use these resources to improve your well-being and become more motivated this week. Good luck on finals everyone; you got this!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Hi! I'm Deniz. I'm an international student from Turkey, and a junior at FSU, majoring in advertising and minoring in criminology! I'm currently an editor at Her Campus at FSU and a writer for Spoon University. I love creating and sharing things and enjoy music, art, and writing :)