1.1 Million: DM Executive Director Felicia Steinberg on the Business of Making Miracles

Name: Felicia Steinberg

Year: Senior

Major: Marketing and Hospitality

Age: 21

Courtesy: Felicia Steinberg

Her Campus (HC): Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Felicia Steinberg (FS): I’m from South Florida. I went to Cooper City High School. I came to Florida State knowing that I wanted to be involved. I knew I definitely wanted to be involved in Dance Marathon in some way just because it was something I had seen that I knew I could relate to. I just kind of jumped in and ever since my freshman year I’ve been very busy.

HC: How exactly did you get involved in Dance Marathon?

FS: I danced my freshman year so I fundraised all year and I was also a committee member. After that I knew I needed to apply and be more involved. I applied for exec and ended up getting it my sophomore year. I’ve been on exec the past two years and now I’m Executive Director.

HC: What positions have you held before your current position?

FS: I was Internal Fundraising Chair in 2014 then I was External Events in 2015.

Courtesy: Felicia Steinberg

HC: Are you involved in other things outside of DM?

FS: Yes! I’m in Kappa Alpha Theta, I studied abroad and I’m in Garnet and Gold Key leadership society. I am the student coordinator for the career fair for the Dedman School of Hospitality. I have had internships on campus and I was also a Rho Gam.

Courtesy: Felicia Steinberg

HC: Where did you study abroad?

FS: Switzerland! It was amazing! It was with the hospitality program and it was five weeks. It’s designed for you to experience European hospitality so they build in like four or five days a week to travel. I got to see a lot of the world.

HC: Do you have a favorite memory from studying abroad?

FS: We went paragliding in Interlaken. That was really cool.

Courtesy: Felicia Steinberg

HC: What exactly made you apply for the Executive Director position?

FS: I just felt that Dance Marathon has been my home away from home for the past four years. I can’t imagine my life without it and I don’t think I would be the person I am today without it. After feeling so connected to the cause, the organization itself and watching it grow and evolve so much over the past four years, I couldn’t imagine doing something else. I couldn’t imagine not being able to give back to Dance Marathon as much as it has given to me.

HC: What do you hope to bring to DM in your role this year?

FS: I think my biggest goal is to see this program continue to grow over the next 20 years. We’ve just had our 20th year which is huge. We raised $1.1 million in our 20th year. So, the question is how do we continue to grow and be able to continue to do these things for our community over the next 20 years? It’s making sure we establish the right structure, the right goals, the right momentum and the right excitement so that it will continue to grow.

Courtesy: Felicia Steinberg

HC: How did it feel from inside of the organization to raise $1.1 million?

FS: I’ve never felt anything like that before. It was a long year of work. Being able to hold up the number was unbelievable. But it wasn’t just about a number; it was that we were able to accomplish so much during the year. To spread passion and to spread awareness; it was all of those things. We got to do something great.

HC: Do you guys have any goals this year? Monetary or otherwise?

FS: As far as monetary, our goal is to make more miracles than we did last year. We just want everyone on our campus to feel like this is their time to give back and make those miracles with us and do that in the best way that they can.

HC: What is your dream career?

FS: There is an area in most corporations called Corporate Social Responsibility or Cause Marketing and they plan philanthropic campaigns for their companies year-round for various causes they support. I want to be on the marketing team that puts on these philanthropic campaigns so that I can continue to do something like this in a real world setting.

Courtesy: Felicia Steinberg

HC: What is something that people don’t know about you?

FS: I’ve been to more countries outside of the United States than I have been to states in the United States. Atleast 15!

HC: Can you name them?

FS: Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Ireland, Greece, England, France, The Netherlands, Mexico, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Canada, Israel, Belgium, Spain and Italy!

Janecia Britt, originally from Tampa, FL is a junior at Florida State who’s enchanted by all things fashion, interior design and art. Majoring in Editing, Writing and Media with a minor in Communication, she has big goals to move to NYC after graduation. She's a brand ambassador for eff.y.bee jewelry, a member of the Victoria Secret PINK Street Team and a Lady SpiritHunter! When she’s not writing for HerCampus, she is baking, crafting and cooking for her friends. You can find her taking Step and Pilates classes at the Leach or canvassing all the boutiques of Tallahassee. She’s a busy bee but puts her heart and soul into everything she does (including her infamous desserts).
Her Campus at Florida State University.