BLACKPINK Releases Second Album, BORN PINK, After Long Hiatus

Attention, K-pop fans around the world, it’s album release time! Fan-favorite girl group, BLACKPINK, has released their second album, BORN PINK after their almost two-year hiatus! The release of BORN PINK was on Sep. 16, and one of the tracks, “Pink Venom,” was pre-released in August. Fans have been awaiting and anticipating this new era of BLACKPINK, considering they are amongst the most popular K-pop groups who break world records left and right. Furthermore, their last (and debut) album, The Album, was released in Oct. 2020. This is a big deal for those who have missed them! During the hiatus, fans had the chance to receive solo projects from members Rosé and Lisa in 2021. Rosé released a single album, titled R, which contains two songs: “On The Ground” and “Gone.” Lisa also released a single album, titled LALISA. As with R, it contains two songs: “LALISA” and “MONEY.”

For those who do not know, BLACKPINK is a K-pop girl group made up of four members: Jennie, Rosé, Lisa and Jisoo. Based in Seoul, they are under YG Entertainment and debuted in 2016. Since their debut that year, they’ve grown to become one of the most popular and record-breaking K-pop groups ever, with smashing hits such as “How You Like That,” “DDU-DU DDU-DU,” “Lovesick Girls” and “BOOMBAYAH.” Their fans are known as “BLINKS,” which blends the words “black” and “pink.” The members had the opportunity to perform at Coachella in 2019 for their United States debut, making them the first female K-pop group to do so.

The BORN PINK album consists of eight tracks, with the title track, “Shut Down,” having its own music video. The video was released along with the album and reached 33 million views that first day. On Billboard’s “Hot Trending Songs” chart, “Shut Down” moved from No. 16 to No. 1. In terms of the entire album, BORN PINK hit No. 1 in the U.S. on iTunes the day it was released. In its first week of pre-orders, it sold over two million records. Each track successfully charted on Melon’s “Top 100” chart, and Melon is the top music website in South Korea.

As with any album release, K-pop albums have physical releases in stores for fans who desire to have the actual CDs in their hands. However, physical K-pop albums include much more than CDs. BORN PINK is available in a variety of physical versions. The “box set” versions include the album’s CD, photocards and a postcard, instant films, a photobook, a poster and much more. The sets can be purchased in pink, gray and black. The version that is exclusive to Target contains the same items as the box set versions, but also a group poster and random sticker. If you want more, there are versions of the album that are custom to each member and even a vinyl version.

Before the release of BORN PINK and the “Shut Down” music video, BLACKPINK announced their 2022 BORN PINK World Tour. The four members will travel to North America and Europe to put on 19 concerts. The first day of the tour will be Oct. 25 in Dallas. The last day will be Dec. 22 in Amsterdam. For those of you who are wanting to see the iconic group live, the general ticket sale to the public began on Sep. 16!

Both BLINKS and K-pop fans in general are excited to finally have new music from BLACKPINK. After what felt like a very long hiatus for many, the girls have emerged from the shadows to break records and take the music world by storm as they’ve successfully done in the past.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Olivia Dumornay is a Junior at Florida State University majoring in Media and Communication Studies and minoring in Sociology. She is currently an Associate Editor for Her Campus at FSU, where she oversees a group of staff writers, edits their submitted articles on a weekly schedule prior to publishing, and more. You can find Olivia rambling about K-Pop and other favorite music artists of hers, films, makeup and fashion trends, and more. She spends her free time dancing, re-watching her "comfort" shows, and going out with friends and family.