10 of the Worst Things About Having a December Birthday

Happy holidays, collegiettes! It’s Sagittarius season, so you know what that means? ‘Tis the season for everyone to be doing everything except celebrating your birthday. Whether it’s at the beginning of the month (oh, hello finals) or the end of the month (Merry Christmas?), it’s always a struggle having a December birthday.

1. Trying to plan a birthday party around finals and winter break.

I think all December babies have learned to accept after years and years of people declining their birthday invitations because they “have to study” or they are “going to their great-aunt Shirley’s house” that they must celebrate their birthday a month before or a month after.

2. All of your friends deserted you for their relatives.

At least your parents and siblings are forced to be there with you as you blow out of the candles on your Cold Stone cake, because all of your friends have left you to go to Iowa and visit their cousins.

3. Remembering none of your relatives are actually visiting for your birthday.

They can say they came to see you for your birthday and they are here to celebrate Christmas, but really, they are lying to you and themselves. You are like the World’s Largest Rubber Band Ball that they stop and see on the way to Disney World; nothing but a cute little pit stop on the way to a bigger and grander destination.

4. Getting asked what you want for your birthday and Christmas.

It just isn’t the same, it really isn’t. There are some gifts you want to open on your birthday and some you want to open on Christmas. Call me spoiled, but it’s true.

5. When your gifts are wrapped in Christmas paper.

The worst.

6. When you get your birthday presents on Christmas…

My birthday was three weeks ago and I genuinely appreciate the effort to get it to me on another day within December. It really would be okay if it was just late, but it never is. People totally just wait to give it you on Christmas to make it easier on themselves.

7. …Or your gifts are just combined into one holiday present.

I know it’s the thought that counts and all, but really? I would take a pair of cozy socks from Dollar Tree, literally anything, to have that feeling from #4.

8. Knowing a certain December baby will always outshine you.

‘Tis the season to be constantly reminded that you didn’t save the world. Sorry, the only miracle I perform is passing financial accounting.

9. People telling you, “Oh, it must suck to be born in December.”

Yes, thank you, please remind me. It’s normally June babies saying this, because they cannot relate at all to what it’s like to be broke and have nothing to look forward to for half the year.

10. Complaining about all of this just makes you look whiny.

This is probably the most complaints I have ever written, but am I actually wrong?

Happy birthday, December babies!

*All GIFs in article courtesy of GIPHY.

Katie is a senior at Florida State University, majoring in Marketing and minoring in Commerical Entrepreneurship. She is one of Her Campus's national collegiate Style Editors but don't worry, you can still find her writing for Style and Career. She's a South Florida girl through and through and loves all things beachy and outdoorsy. When she isn't obsessively online shopping, looking up her daily CoStar, or reading every book in the "Free" section on iTunes, she's trying to convince people that they don't need an Instagram. Feel free to add her on LinkedIn (because networking is the new adulting) and check out her website. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.